- Wallops Island, VA
NASA's Sounding Rocket Operations Contract (NSROC) is a sub-orbital space flight program located at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility (WFF), a part of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). NSROC provides suborbital launch vehicles, payload development and field operations support to NASA's Science Mission Directorate. The program enables the collection of Earth, Heliophysics and Astrophysics science.
The Electrical Engineer, Telemetry, is responsible for the design, testing and field operations support related to sounding rocket telemetry systems. They research, develop, design, and test electrical components, equipment, and systems; applying principles and techniques of electrical engineering.
They are responsible for the production and presentation of technical material in support of internal and external customer meetings.
Specific duties include:
- Develop special purpose circuits to monitor vehicle or payload events, to establish compatible voltage or impedance levels, or to perform in-flight functions
- Design PCM encoder matrices and measurement lists.
- Development of mission telemetry requirements.
- Utilize ground support equipment to test telemetry system components to include PCM encoders, RF transmitters and antennas.
- Utilize quality management systems to document engineering design change requests and non-conformances.
- May serve as the lead electrical engineer for Sounding Rocket missions.
- Apply programming and computer application skills in the development of software in C, C++, C# and Matlab.
- Contribute to the development of new engineering products or specialty products, and specifications.
- Participate in technical interchange discussions with customers and experimenters.
- Manage the activities required to meet the objectives of assigned design and development projects.
- Design, develop, troubleshoot, and analyze new and advanced projects; conceptual thinking, designing and developing plans, processes, procedures, functional and data requirements analysis, complex system analysis, and documentation preparation for complex systems.
- Develop appropriate test methods and documentation to evaluate and check electronic systems.
- Document the results of complex analysis and design tasks for technical reports and formal meeting presentations.
- Training will be required in:
- Electrostatic Discharge (ESD)
- Cryogenic Safety
- Oxygen Deficiency
- Software Assurance
- Quality Management System
- Ordnance Awareness
- Education: A Bachelor's Degree (BS) or Masters Degree (MS) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Physics, or other STEM field is required.
- 2+ years of experience in STEM field
- Experience and operational proficiency with electronic equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, signal generators, power supplies, multi-meters, etc. as well as components such as microcontrollers, PLD's, DSP's
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical of Computer Engineering Preferred
- Master's degree in Electrical of Computer Engineering Preferred
- 2+ years of experience designing and testing avionics for aerospace applications
- Experience with telemetry and related instrumentation systems for flight vehicles and payloads and the ability to develop associated design documentation.
- Experience with electrical schematic design applications, such as Orcad.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top