ENG. TECH II - Sturctural Test
- Greenbelt, MD
Performs basic tasks and standard assignments, demonstrating developing competency. Is directed and coached by supervisor and more senior technicians. Performs duties in areas such as environmental test facility operations, and electrical and mechanical maintenance. Depending on area of assignment, assists senior technicians and engineers in: performing spacecraft environmental tests; repairing and maintaining equipment, facilities and systems; or other duties associated with area of assignment.
Primary duties are to setup, oversee and conduct mechanical and dynamic environmental testing for spacecraft. Types of tests include static load testing, acoustic, vibration, centrifuge, and modal testing. Will work with equipment such as electro-dynamic shakers, power amplifiers, signal conditions, dynamic recording devices and instrumentation. Troubleshoots test setup as necessary. Adheres to policies and procedures at all levels of the test environment.
Additionally, the position will be responsible for data collection and reporting those findings to the customer. Candidate should be familiar with electronic/electrical circuitry and theory. Comprehension of mechanical concepts and assembly are required. Familiarity of computer based operating systems and software that acquire data collection and analysis.
- Working with NASA flight projects, a mechanical integration engineer IV leads the development of mechanical designs or concepts for systems or subsystems to meet requirements space vehicle or ground support equipment specifications. Leads and supports the mechanical integration of space systems or ground support systems in order to meet highly aggressive program schedules. Prepare specifications and presentation materials in accordance with established guidelines to meet customer schedules and budgets. Perform "hands-on" mechanical integration and test tasks, as required, to meet program schedules. Work with and lead an integrated team of technicians and engineers in the design, fabrication, analysis, assembly, integration, testing and field support of spaceflight hardware.
May also perform other duties associated within area of assignment as directed by lead personnel or management.
• Perform analysis, test, design and development for engineering projects.
• Design, develop and document components, hardware or software.
• Analyze requirements for material, structural components or functional system assignment. Release results as design data after review from other engineers.
• Develop and/or approve detailed test procedures, test set up and instrumentation used. Test models, prototypes, subassemblies or production components. Plan strategies for analysis, test and design used for task planning and execution. Document results of analysis, test and design.
• Develop original ideas on preliminary design concepts with other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve the maximum ideal design. Prepare specifications and requirements.
• Coordinate support and personnel from other areas such as Optics, Thermal, Structural Dynamics, EMI/EMC, Electrical and Contamination Control, etc.
• Interface directly with program management and/or program engineers to develop detailed assembly procedures, operational flow, logistics, schedule, personnel requirements and maintain space flight hardware inventories and log books.
• Develop detailed estimates, define mechanical ground support equipment required to support integration activities and serve as liaison with Project personnel in setting schedules documenting design changes, and fabricating components and material selections.
• Possess effective communication skills and work effectively with customer and project personnel.
• Develop and/or approve detailed procedures for interfacing and handling space flight hardware.
- Minimum of 2 years related or 1 year direct experience required to the area of assignment with demonstrated communication skills. Must be computer-literate. Familiarity with hand tools & electrical & mechanical principles is required.
- Must adhere to verbal and written guidelines and procedures.
- Must be capable of working from ladders, scaffolding, catwalks, cranes, suspended platforms or cages, etc.
- Must be capable of working while bending, standing, stooping, kneeling or in a prove position for extended periods of time.
- Must be capable of working in small and large confined spaces.
- Must be able to use the proper PPE as required by work activities.
- Must have the ability to distinguish color for 8 color display while monitoring testing data.
- Must be able to accommodate shift changing, weekend and holiday support on short notice and extended hours as required.
- Must be capable of passing required physical examinations and successfully completing the following training: Electro-static discharge, hazard communication, confined space, Electrical Safety, Cryogenic safety, clean room, personal protective equipment, IT security and other required training or certifications as directed by management.
- Knowledge of the operations and maintenance of all test facilities and utility infrastructure located in the Building 7/10/15/29 testing complex.
- Has working knowledge of vibration, static load and acoustical style testing.
- Has working knowledge of Lab View or vibration and acoustical work stations.
- Electricity/Electronics theory and practice associated with structural style testing.
- Demonstrates understanding of mechanical theory and its application.
- Experience with Crane, Man-Lifts, Boom and Forklifts.
- General desktop experience for Windows based office suite.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top