Electromagnetic Design Engineer 5
At Northrop Grumman, our work with cutting-edge technology is driven by something human: the lives our technologies protects. It's the value of innovation that makes a difference today and tomorrow. Here you'll have the opportunity to connect with coworkers in an environment that's uniquely caring, diverse, and respectful; where employees share experience, insights, perspectives and creative solutions through integrated product & cross-functional teams, and employee resource groups. From engineering and manufacturing, to operations and business development, Northrop Grumman's Sunnyvale location offers the opportunity to serve national security and impact the lives of Americans all over the globe from the landscape of Northern California. Don't just build a career, build a life at Northrop Grumman Sunnyvale.
Northrop Grumman is seeking a Design Engineer with in depth knowledge of electromagnetic theory applied to the design and analysis of mega-watt rating electrical machines. The candidate should be familiar with different types of electrical machines, with a focus on permanent magnet and wound-rotor synchronous machines. The candidate will be the design lead responsible for performing design trade studies, preliminary and detailed machine design, machine design assessments, evaluation of machine performance due to manufacturing variations, and evaluation of acoustic and temperature performance conditions. Experience in ferromagnetic materials used in laminations, permanent magnet grades, electric machine insulation systems, electric machine thermal management and top level motor drive architectures is a plus.
This position is located in Sunnyvale, CA.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or other STEM discipline with 14 years of experience in Electric Machine design and analysis; Masters of Science in a STEM discipline with 12 years related experience; Ph.D. in a STEM discipline with 9 years related experience
- Electromagnetic analysis experience with FEA tools such as ANSYS Maxwell, Altair Flux 2D/3D, or similar type of electromagnetic analysis software
- Experience designing electric machine for operation using inverter / drive applications
- Demonstrated technical team leadership
- U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance
- 7+ years of electrical machine and/or inverter / drive engineering experience
- Experience with software for system evaluation such as Matlab Simulink, Simplorer, etc.
- Good understanding of construction / manufacturing methods of electric machines
- Experience with electric machines for marine propulsion applications
- Experience implementing designs meeting military specifications and requirements
- Experience with naval nuclear propulsion programs
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Excellent communication skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top