Electrical Engineer - Flight Test
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Northrop Grumman that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Northrop Grumman.
The Flight Test Business area deals with the design, analysis, modification, integration, ground and flight testing and airworthiness certification of airborne surveillance and communication technologies onto manned, flying test-bed commercial-derivative aircraft. The Electrical Engineer shall perform a variety of engineering work including design, analysis and substantiation of electrical systems and components as related to aircraft modification and integration of surveillance and communication technologies as well as avionics upgrades.
Additional responsibilities include preparing electrical engineering reports, wiring diagrams, block diagrams, electrical load analysis, ground/flight test reports and other technical reports required to obtain FAA and/or military/DoD airworthiness approvals. Also involves creating engineering detail, assembly, cable/wire harness and installation/routing drawings using AutoCAD or similar software programs.
Responsibilities for this Pipeline requisition are:
The Electrical Engineer will maintain an active involvement in every step throughout the lifecycle once a project is initiated and will support all aspects of flight testing including but not limited to the following:
- Supporting proposals with cost and schedule estimates for aircraft modifications.
- System verification and validation test support.
- Technical planning, electrical systems design and electrical systems interface definition.
- Performing trade studies and electrical system requirements derivation to translate Customer requirements into electrical specifications and systems solutions that meet technical, schedule and cost constraints.
- Working with existing aircraft AC and DC power sources and converting into useful power for Programs by the most efficient and safe means.
- Assisting programs in design and testing including electrical systems design, electrical loads analysis, aircraft platform power distribution to systems, basic circuit design and circuit protection, and safety interlocks during design phase.
- Assisting with cable fabrication and checkout, ground tests, flight run card preparation and review, pre- and post-flight briefings during flight test portion of programs.
- Interfacing with Customers, internal Program Office and IPT personnel including management, integration and test, and system design engineers/architects.
- Interfacing with test pilots, mechanics, electrical technicians, inspectors, and other flight test engineers to accomplish electrical design, modification, installation and documentation.
- Gain experience needed to obtain DER Certification by working closely with the FAA
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical, Systems or other related Engineering degree
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
- Must have proven technical experience integrating and modifying aircraft to add systems and equipment. Systems may include: Audio, radio/communications, EO/IR, SIGINT/COMINT, video distribution/downlink, INS/GPS.
- Knowledge of aircraft electrical systems and wiring diagrams, aircraft avionics, electrical power, EMI/EMC prevention, wire shielding and wire protection/sizing.
- Past experience in developing aircraft electrical modification data packages and supporting a project from conceptual design through detail design, manufacturing, and integration and test.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and documents needed to routinely maintain and repair commercial aircraft; Wiring Diagram Manual (WDM), Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM), Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC), etc.
- Position requires the desire and ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and adapt quickly to frequently changing requirements on a weekly or sometimes daily basis.
- US Citizenship required.
- Current FAA Part 23 and Part 25 DER in Electrical Systems & Equipment, including Major Repairs and Alterations.
- Master of Science or Master of Engineering degree in Electrical or Systems Engineering or related field from an accredited institution.
- Active Top Secret/SCI clearance.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For a complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top