Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a Drafter-Layout to join its Mechanical Design team. This position is located in Linthicum, Maryland.
Where design patterns have been established, originate layouts and geometric models of electro-mechanical assemblies or units such as SRA's and SRU's from design specifications and/or major layouts. Coordinate the work of others in the preparation of related minor layouts and drawings.
Perform duties of drafters of lower classification and in addition:
- Originate layouts and geometric models of assemblies or units such as SRA's and SRU's, with a major assembly. These layouts and models may be generated manually or on a CAD system utilizing conventional drafting techniques. Work from design specifications and/or finished design layouts where design patterns have been established. Establish all critical dimensions and tolerances, specify material, finished designs and other data necessary for drafters of lower classifications to prepare simple layouts or detail and assembly drawings. Perform complicated changes on layouts of major assemblies according to specifications and/or general instructions.
- Within the scope of this position and under the direction of the cognizant design engineer perform shop follow duties for the purpose of eliminating drawing discrepancies, interpretation of drawings and recommend changes for the resolution of problems and/or ease of manufacturing, inspection or purchasing.
- Incorporate drawing change information on drawings, revision notice forms or other forms as may be required.
- Must have comprehensive working knowledge of DOD drawing specifications and requirements.
- Analyze, plan, and originate layouts reflecting the optimum in simplicity, efficiency, and economy and standardization of methods and parts in the manufacturing process where design patterns have been established. This requires applying a comprehensive knowledge of the efficient and proper use of materials, manufacturing processes, capabilities of machine tools, fabrication equipment and inspection techniques to the layout task.
- Make the necessary tolerance analysis and calculations to effectively determine electrical and mechanical clearances, fits, dimensions, tolerances and size of materials.
- Coordinate and technically guide the work of lower-classified drafting personnel assigned to projects under the incumbent's responsibility.
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of assigned work and assume responsibility for all work when drawings reflect the signature of the incumbent as checker.
- Assist Supervisor to provide estimates and reports relative to work assignment.
This is a SEA Union represented position.
This is a 1st shift position.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Plus an Associate's degree in the field of Design and drafting OR two years related drafting experience.
- Two courses in one of the following: algebra, plane and solid geometry, trigonometry and physics.
- Minimum of five years drafting experience including a minimum of three years experience as a Detail Drafter A or equivalent experience in the electro-mechanical field.
- Must have a general knowledge of the mechanical and electro-mechanical field of design and be thoroughly familiar with recommended design/drafting standards as described in the drawing system manual.
- Must have a general knowledge of manufacturing practices and a comprehensive working knowledge of DOD drawing specifications and requirements.
Preferred Qualifications: None.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top