We are looking for a designer to join our team in Annapolis, MD. This candidate will originate design layouts and geometric models of major assemblies or units such as LRU's within a complete system from design specification and/ or layouts. This person will coordinate the work of other designers and drafters in the preparation of related layouts and drawings.
WORKING PROCEDURE AND/OR RESPONSIBILITY ASSIGNED:
PERFORM WORK OF EQUAL OR LOWER SKILL LEVEL AS REQUIRED.
1. Perform duties of designers and drafters of lower classification and in addition:
2. Originate design layouts and geometric models of a major assembly or unit such as LRU's within a complete system. These layouts and models may be generated manually or on a CAD system utilizing conventional design/ drafting techniques. Work from brief design specification and/or layouts under the general direction of engineers ad higher classified personnel. Establish all critical dimensions and tolerances, specify material, finishes, and other data necessary
for drafters or lower classification and follow each job from inception to completion. Work is normally performed in one field of advanced drafting design, but a general knowledge of mechanical, electro-mechanical, vehicle structures, and/or hydraulic drafting design is required.
3. Develop designs considering equipment functions, maintenance, and the like within prescribed dimensional and weight limits that can be manufactured economically. A good working knowledge of shop practices, processes, machine operations, and the effect of design on manufacturing costs is required.
4. Make mathematical calculations in order to solve design problems involving tolerances, electrical and mechanical c learances, fits, weight, effect of dissimilar metals, mechanism and machine elements, stress and the like in accordance with given formulae as necessary to design equipment according to design specifications.
5.Direct, coordinate, and technically guide the preparation of related design layouts and drawings by other drafting personnel.
6. Interface with other departments to assist in the establishment of multi-purpose CAD/CAM databases and requirements.
7. Assist supervisor in providing estimates and reports relative to work efforts, coordination, scheduling, project design, progress and vendor follow, as required.
8. Provide drawing and specification interpretation service for others as required.
9. Within the scope of this position, execute complex engineering changes on existing equipment, involving redesign of the unit, and when requested, complete drawing change information either directly on drawings, on revision notice forms, or on other forms as appropriate.
10. Adhere to established procedures and practices as required.
Education Requirement: High school graduate or equivalent plus an Associate's degree in the field of design and drafting. Equivalent related drafting experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties assigned under this position may be considered in lieu of associate's degree. Must have studied algebra, plane and solid geometry, trigonometry, physics, and strength of materials.
Experience: Minimum of 8 (eight) years' of drafting experience in the electro-mechanical field. Must have a broad knowledge of the mechanical, electro-mechanical, and hydraulic fields of design. Must have a good working knowledge of manufacturing processes and the effect of design on cost. Must be able to present ideas effectively to other personnel in both oral and written form.
Clearance: Must have an active or current Top Secret clearance.
An active or current TS/SCI with Poly clearance.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top