- Annapolis, MD
We are looking for a designer to join our team in Annapolis, MD. This candidate will originate design layouts and geometric models of complete systems or portions of a complete system. These designs involve intricate and complicated printed circuit assemblies, from design specifications and general instructions. This person will coordinate the work of other designers and drafters in the preparation of related unit designs which may comprise a complete system.
WORKING PROCEDURE AND/OR RESPONSIBILITY ASSIGNED:
PERFORM WORK OF EQUAL OR LOWER SKILL LEVEL AS REQUIRED.
1. Perform duties of designers and drafters of lower classification and in addition:
2. Originate design layouts and geometric models for complete new systems involving a large number of intricate and related parts and controls, complicated mechanical motions, complex structures with extreme stress requirements and/ or close tolerances. These layouts and models may be generated manually or on a CAD system utilizing conventional design/ drafting techniques. Develop engineering ideas and experimental concepts into basic designs working from sketches, design specifications and/or very general directions from the Design Engineer. This requires a comprehensive knowledge of the mechanical, electro-mechanical and/or hydraulic fields of design and drafting.
3. Make mathematical calculations in order to solve advanced design problems involving tolerances, electrical and mechanical clearances,fits, weight, effect of dissimilar metals, mechanism and machine elements, stress and the like in accordance with given formulae as to design equipment according to design specifications.
4.Confer with engineers, manufacturing operations, quality and supervisory personnel on problems affecting the design, manufacturing, and scheduling of projects to which assigned. Recommend the use of standard tools, parts, procedures, processes and the like.
5. Keep abreast of advances in computer (CAD) techniques, design, and drafting practices, design techniques, materials and processes and available standard design products of vendors which may be used in the design projects.
6. Recommend new or improved design and manufacturing standards, drafting practices, design techniques, materials and information release and control procedures.
7. Assist supervisor in providing estimates and reports relative to work efforts, coordination, scheduling, project design, progress and vendor follow, as required.
8. Execute complex engineering changes on existing equipment and, when requested, complete drawing change information either directly on drawings, on revision notice forms, or on other forms as appropriate.
9. Adhere to established procedures and practices as required.
Education Requirement: High school graduate or equivalent plus an Associate's degree in the field of design and drafting. Equivalent related drafting experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties assigned under this position may be considered in lieu of associate's degree. Must have studied algebra, plane and solid geometry, trigonometry, physics, and strength of materials.
Experience: Minimum of 10 (ten) years' of drafting experience in the electro-mechanical field. Must have a broad knowledge of the mechanical, electro-mechanical, and hydraulic fields of design. Must have a good working knowledge of manufacturing processes and the effect of design on cost. Must be able to present ideas effectively to other personnel in both oral and written form.
An active or current TS/SCI with Poly clearance.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top