Designer 2 Packaging Specialist
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Designer 2 Packaging Specialist to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Edwards, AFB in California.
The Designer 2 Packaging Specialist will design components or portions of packaging, material handling, storage and transportability (PHS&T) systems as well as modifying existing designs with the intent of developing or improving products to simplify manufacturing, production and logistical engineering support operations. Develop packaging instructions for the shipping of military and commercial parts utilizing military and commercial packaging standards to include hazardous materials shipping. Further to identify, plan, resource and acquire packaging/preservation, handling, storage and transportability (PHS&T) constraints which maximize the availability and usability of DOD assets ensuring survivability for either training or mission support requirements.
- Develop material handling and Parts Protection Specifications, Special Packaging Instructions and Coded Packaging Data
- Determine packaging specifications according to the nature of the product, cost limitations, legal requirements, and the type of protection required, considering need for resistance to such external variables as moisture, corrosive chemicals, temperature variations, light, heat, rough handling, and tampering
- Support the Package Engineer in the development of supplier packaging requirements
- Contribute to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects
- Function as a Liaison primarily to internal company contacts, (inter-organizational teams) and occasionally with outside customer contacts on routine matters
- High school diploma
- Minimum 3 years of military and commercial packing/shipping and handling/hazmat experience
- Experience using Word, Excel and PowerPoint to create documents, reports, spreadsheets and slides to present data and requirements
- Ability to resolve routine questions and problems, and refer more complex questions to upper management
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance and Special Program Access
- Associates or technical degree in mechanical drafting, with computer aided design knowledge (AUTOCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA)
- 5 years package/shipping and handling/hazmat experience
- Provide written packaging instructs to support shipping product and hazardous materials both domestic and international along with some crate/tooling design requirements
- Hazmat certification
- Active Secret Security Clearance
- Ability to obtain a SSBI
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top