Conventional Machinist 3 - Space Components
- San Diego, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems and technology that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they are making history.
Northrop Grumman Space Components Division is seeking a Conventional Machinist 3 to join our team. This position could be located in San Diego, CA.
As a Conventional Machinist the candidate operates various conventional machining centers on semi-complex jobs. Works from blueprints, sketches, planning sheets, and/or engineering, tooling, or equipment information. Contributes to lean initiatives to increase productivity and reduce costs. Works with limited guidance, in a team environment.
- Sets up and runs multiple production machines (Manual Mills, Lathes, Drill Press & Surface Grinders)
- Performs machine operations (including reworking parts) such as cutting, shaping, deburring, forming, drilling, and reaming parts
- Performs machine operations where the materials, tooling, and sequence of operations have been pre-planned and established
- Makes necessary machine adjustments and reports improper machine functioning or cutting action for correction
- Aligns and fastens work using standard fixtures and established methods
- Installs and adjusts cutting tools consistent with type and size of material being machined
- Follows established manufacturing methods using standard production machines, materials, and tooling
- Adjusts feeds, speeds, and depth of cut to machine quality parts, per documentation
- Operates hand and power tools to deburr precision and complex machine parts in accordance with semi-complicated engineering blueprints and route sheets to close tolerances
- Inspects parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers and comparators
- Uses various types of magnification equipment (including a microscope) to detect and avoid damage to surfaces and critical areas
- Visually inspects parts for burrs or damaged machined surfaces
- Routinely maintains equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability specific to division requirements
- Actively implements lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Effectively applies lean concepts and tools in work area
- Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and orderly work area
- Performs other related responsibilities, as requested
- 6 + years machining experience.
- Able to work with limited guidance in a team environment
- Able to make machine set ups
- Reads and follows blueprints, specifications, and verbal instructions
- Has working knowledge of machine shop mathematics, may include trigonometry.
- Able to effectively apply lean initiatives
- Able to efficiently manage project tasks from design reviews through project completion
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment
- Interprets reports and uses job specific software applications. Ability to use employee self-service systems to access on-line information and use specialized automated systems
- Effectively demonstrates team member competencies and participates in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities and understands that personal effort and attitude play a significant part in the success of the business
- State Apprenticeship or equivalent preferred
Back to top