Consulting Engineer Systems
- Redondo Beach, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Consulting Systems Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The Consulting Systems Engineer will be specialized in Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) / Spacecraft Charging.
The successful candidate will bring with them extensive knowledge of ESD design at the device and system level, along with solid knowledge of the characterization and measurement techniques used in ESD development. The candidate will provide technical expertise and PCAB engagement across multiple programs as it relates to ESD, review technical documentation and participate in technical meetings. The role involves working closely with diverse teams within Northrop Grumman as well as external vendors.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead formal verification product development and mentoring in support of design sell-off against program Spacecraft Charging/ESD requirement
- Review and tailor Spacecraft Charging/ ESD requirements to meet specified product performance for all aspects of Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) design and qualification.
- Responsible for interpreting program Spacecraft Charging/ESD environments to identify antenna and solar array hardware elements which may require analysis or test to qualify
- P rovide support and mentoring for test data analysis and interpretation, including presentation and defense of qualification efforts to customer and their technical contractors
- Formulate Spacecraft Charging/ESD test plans, coordinate test execution, and assist the program hardware/sub-system engineers in performing the post-test analyses required to demonstrate the hardware is either qualified or is in need of design changes
- Develop methods for mitigating charging of materials and structures from space environment electron flux.
- Maintain Spacecraft Charging/ESD technical continuity and support mentorship of existing employees
- Create test reports, procedures, control plans, and guidelines.
The individual should be a self-starter, versatile, problem solver, and have a willingness to work as part of a team; must be willing to travel occasionally to locations elsewhere in the corporation and/or customer site in order to assist in troubleshooting efforts, and attend design review meetings.
- Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 20+ years of experience in Systems Engineering OR
- Master's degree from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 18+ years of experience in Systems Engineering OR
- PhD from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 15+ years of experience in Systems Engineering
- Experience specializing in either Electro-physics, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or other closely related STEM area
Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, the following active U.S. Government security clearances:
- Dept of Defense Secret level with a background investigation date within 10 years OR
- Dept of Energy L clearance with a background investigation date within 10 years
- SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years OR
- Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years
Expertise in the following:
- A thorough understanding of the physics of Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) phenomena, including surface charging and deep dielectric discharge
- Familiarity with the material properties that affect charging, with the limitations of handbook data and ASTM test methods as sources for those properties, and with alternate test methods required to measure those properties under space like conditions
- Familiarity with ESD circuit modeling, including NASCAP and Lumped Element Modeling.
- ESD test experience, including triggered and sustained arcing
- Extensive experience in failure and anomaly investigations
- Experience in developing techniques and processes to mitigate ESD effects
- Space Weather modeling, including both climatology and transient behavior
- Designing for LEO, MEO, GEO and other space environment
- Space environmental effects in the aerospace industry
- Working knowledge of spacecraft charging literature (e.g., Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference Proceedings, peer reviewed papers in IEEE Transactions on Plasma Sciences, Nuclear Sciences and Electromagnetic Compatibility, and in AIAA proceeding and journals), and standards (e.g., NASA TP 2341, NASA HDBK 4002A, NASA HDBK 4006).
- Developing methods for mitigating charging of materials and structures from space environment electron flux.
- Strong knowledge with SC Solar Arrays, antennas charging and discharging
- Design standards, analysis and test methods and supporting hardware designs within cost and schedule
- Expert in Mathcad, MatLab and PSPICE analytical models for electrical and magnetic fields.
- Familiar with lab test equipment including oscilloscopes, data acquisition systems, thermal measurement equipment, signal generators, electrostatic voltmeters such as a TREK meter system and high voltage power supplies
- Member of Spacecraft Charging Technology committee
- Author of Spacecraft Charging/ESD technical papers
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top