Composite Machinist Operator
- Cumberland, MD
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Defense Systems is currently seeking Composite Machinist Operators for our Group 43 team in Rocket Center, West Virginia, just outside of Cumberland, Maryland.
The Allegany Ballistics Laboratory (ABL) site in Rocket Center, designs, develops and manufactures tactical rocket motors, medium caliber ammunition, composite components and end items, and fuze and electronics equipment. For decades, the dedicated and highly skilled team at ABL has supported national security efforts by developing and building defense systems for DoD customers and U.S. allies.
- Operate various machine tools, including CNC Mills and CNC Lathes, as well as manual lathes and mills, using blueprints, sketches or shop drawings for each operation to create rough or finished parts to exacting tolerances.
- Plan operational sequences, determine method of holding work, and select tooling required to machine parts in conformance with exact tolerances as dictated by drawings, sketches, or other authorizing documents.
- Maintain high quality and productivity levels through application of the most effective machining techniques in compliance with the procedures for each operation.
- Ability to write simple programs for short run parts using sketches, blueprints or shop drawings, or with supervisory approval, edit existing programs to expedite jobs and improve work quality.
- Calculate and layout reference points, angles, and other dimensions from sketches, blueprints, or shop drawings using shop mathematics, including geometry and trigonometry.
- Verify conformance of machined parts to reference documentation through the accurate use of precision measuring instruments and standardized measuring techniques.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have two (2) years of experience operating Manual and/or CNC Metal Machining Equipment and/or successfully completed an approved machinist training program.
- An excellent work conduct and attendance record.
- Must be able to work any shift.
- Must be able to work overtime as assigned.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions
Back to top