Component Engineer (Engineering Design 3)
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems sector, where technology and teamwork come together supporting mission critical equipment for global security, is seeking a Component Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals within Specialty Engineering. This position will be located in Sacramento, CA. The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman Corporation Mission Systems Sector supporting the various sensors installed on the Manned and UAV aircraft that deploy worldwide.
- Research, coordinate, and support technical engineering staff in selection and qualification of electrical components, cable assemblies, and mechanical hardware to ensure they meet product specifications and are reliable and effective.
- Component engineering covers a range from new designs to fielded systems, production, reliability growth, and fielded operational support of the sensor system.
- Analyzes preliminary plans and develops DMSMS (Diminishing Manufacturing Source & Material Supply) plans to achieve company, customer, and governmental agency objectives for product longevity.
- Component Engineering is a key driver of counterfeit parts prevention.
- As necessary, proposes changes in design or formulation to improve system functionality (technology insertion roadmap) and/or long term supportability.
- May determine units and/or batches requiring environmental testing, and specifies minimum number of samples to obtain statistically valid data.
- Component Engineering provides support to customers, management, production, design engineering, reliability engineering, and sustainment using technology and tools for providing component selection and guidance support to the customer and works with new designs for product longevity to meet long term supportability.
- Must be a US citizen with a current TS/SCI clearance.
- Bachelor Degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math)
- 3 years of practical experience in inventory and procurement management systems
- Proficient in the use of software such as Word, Excel, Visio, project, and other MS office products
- Experience in maintaining / reporting status of program activities while collaborating with employees within the department and across functions.
- Familiar with Product Data Management/Design and Configuration management tools like PTC, Windchill PDM including initiating documents and managing CN (Change Notice) and PR (Problem Report) processes
- Familiar with IPC-610, SD-22 as well Aerospace related standards (Temp, Vibe, Reliability)
- Familiar with Sustaining Engineering and alternate components (DMS) concepts and procedures ideas and concepts
- Experience within the component engineering discipline
- Experience in Electrical Design and Manufacturing
- Experience in managing quality alerts using systems such as GIDEP or IHS(CAPS Universe)
- Ability to work with little direct supervision, self-motivated, self-starting
- Ability to mentor junior reliability engineers
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top