Communications Engineer 3
The Communications Systems Engineer supports the COMMS IPT in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment. The COMMS Systems Engineer is responsible for the design, analysis, development and test of advanced communications systems.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Requirements management, derivation, tracking and flow-down
- Perform RF communication system analysis (link budgets, antenna and signal characteristics) and system performance trade studies
- Document system requirements and interfaces, with traceability to platform requirements
- Perform review and analysis of supplier design data, definition of functional test requirements including acceptance, qualification, and system integration
- Perform proposal activities such as creating task descriptions & basis of estimates, writing supplier statements of work, and performing technical evaluation of Supplier proposals
- Plan out integration, test, and demonstration activities
- Perform responsible engineering activities to manage suppliers and ensure products meet the requirements within cost and schedule
- Prepare for and give presentations at regular customer reviews
- Actively participate in Program Risk and Opportunity Management
- Coordinate across organizations to disseminate information and drive issues to closure
- BS in Engineering (Electrical, Systems or Aerospace) or related technical discipline (Physics, Mathematics)
- Minimum of 5 practical working experience with various types of RF systems, including SATCOM and/or Line-of-Sight comms
- "Active" DoD Secret security clearance with ability to obtain TS w/ SSBI
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-directed technical leader and Subject Matter Expert with strong communication skills, demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary technical trades, and ability to develop & execute to a strategy
- Must possess strong technical knowledge and experience in Communications Systems Engineering, especially with regards to link budget and RF analysis (interference, waveform / modulation types, antenna beam patterns)
- Master's Degree in an Engineering Discipline
- Experience with the integration and test of communications systems or component sub-systems
- Advanced knowledge of communication engineering theory
- Active DoD/TS w/ SSBI and investigation within last 5 years
- Prior unit/subsystem/Payload/Segment Systems Engineering experience.
- Prior experience with multiple program phases (SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR, etc.)
- Experience with a variety of communications and networking protocols
- Experience with various SATCOM systems, including AEHF
- Experience with RF simulation & analysis tools (e.g., HFSS, Savant, EMIT, SATSOFT, etc.)
- Experience with DOORS
- Experience managing subcontractors, including writing SoWs, Tech Evals and performance specifications
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top