CNC Programmer / Manufacturing Engineer (Machining) 3
Northrop Grumman Marine Systems (NGMS) is a leading provider of naval propulsion and tactical equipment support systems. NGMS is seeking a highly motivated & skilled CNC Programmer / Manufacturing Engineer who will specialize in the fabrication (machining) of high value large-scale precision metal components (low-volume / high-mix). This position requires a candidate with a strong background and working knowledge of metal removal/machining fundamentals and computer numerical control (CNC) programming experience.
Requirements & Responsibilities:
- Create and edit CNC programs that support the machining of large-scale, complex, precision metal components fabricated on multiple-axis CNC milling & turning machining centers (CAM file generation, post-processor machine code generation)
- Perform technical data package review of components that require fabrication (CAD model & engineering drawing validation)
- Perform machining process development & optimization (part setup/ fixturing, machining strategy/order of operations, tool selection, speed/feed process parameter selection)
- Identify, select, and procure appropriate tooling for job specific applications (based on part material, geometry, features, tolerances, system rigidity, and equipment capability)
- Perform program prove-out validation (computer simulation tools, 'table top' peer reviews, First Time Process Reviews, machine dry runs)
- Work with machinists, manufacturing engineers, and design engineers to identify process improvement opportunities (reduced machining/setup time, improved part quality, reduced manufacturing risk) and incorporate required design changes (customer driven changes, technical performance improvements, improved manufacturability)
- Participate in and lead cross-functional teams comprised of machinists/operators, manufacturing engineers, production supervisors, supply chain representatives, quality engineers/inspectors, and operations/program management to support program schedule & performance goals, mitigate manufacturing risks, and improve operational efficiency.
- This job requisition is for a 1st Shift position; however, occasional extended shift, off-shift, and/or weekend support may be required
- Occasional travel may be required for training purposes or to participate in equipment selection/acceptance activities (less than 10%)
- Northrop Grumman offers comprehensive benefits packages, competitive wages, and 9/80 flexible work schedules
Position located in Sunnyvale, CA
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline (Mechanical, Manufacturing/Operations, Machining, Process, Materials
- 5 years direct experience working in a machining CNC programming role
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand engineering technical data packages (CAD models, engineering drawings, quality inspection/control plans, manufacturing instructions) including Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Ability to create and edit CNC programs that support the machining of large-scale, complex, precision metal components
- Ability to work well in a cross-functional team comprised of machinists/operators, manufacturing engineers, production supervisors, supply chain representatives, quality engineers/inspectors, and operations/program management
- Demonstrated proficiency/experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Candidate must be detail oriented, highly organized, and possess excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Experience creating and/or editing 3D CAD models, Siemens NX preferred
- Experience creating and/or editing CAM files (machine cutter tool path generation), Siemens NX preferred
- Masters of Science in an Engineering discipline (Mechanical, Manufacturing/Operations, Machining, Process, Materials)
- Experience/proficiency working with materials requirements planning (MRP) and manufacturing execution systems (MES), SAP experience preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency using Siemens NX CAD/CAM software to create NC programs for multiple-axis CNC milling & turning machining centers
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top