CNC Ceramic Machinist
- Shirley, MA
CNC Ceramic Machinist - Ceramics Devens MA
Adaptive Optics Associates, Inc. (AOA-Xinetics), a wholly-owned Northrop Grumman Space Systems (NGSP) Business Venture, is currently seeking a CNC Ceramic Machinist to support manufacturingactivities in Devens MA.
AOX designs, develops, and manufactures precision, advanced optical products and systems such as deformable mirrors, optical systems, adaptive optics control systems and silicon carbide optical structures for the U.S. Government, commercial customers, and U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy and semiconductor capital equipment as well as defense ISR and Directed Energy. Several potential direct and adjacent application areas also exist. The Company has substantial growth opportunities in support of many U.S. Government and NGSP business initiatives.
AOA-Xinetics (AOX) delivers industrial photonics systems and development services for a variety of customers and applications. AOX excels in a range of applications from adaptive optical systems, deformable mirrors, wavefront sensors, precision actuators, to photonic systems that acquire and process data in real time for a variety of high availability applications. AOX's capabilities include lightweight passive and active hybrid CERAFORM silicon carbide optics and precision structures as well as large and small precision opto-mechanical systems supporting electronics and sophisticated controls software.
Reporting to the Production Manager - Precision Devices, the Ceramic Machinist will be responsible for machining fragile, ceramic material based products (e.g. lead oxides).
- Sets up and operates a variety of machine tools such as GN grinder, IWT wire saw, and Haas machining centers to make ceramic parts to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
- Programs CNC equipment by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proving part programs.
- Conduct machine set-ups installing and adjusting chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices.
- Interprets blueprints, sketches, and engineering specifications.
- Verifies settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample work pieces; adhering to international standards
- Use a variety of machinist hand tools and precision measuring instruments.
- Determines material, parts, and equipment required.
- Set up and operate any type of precision machine tool to make original parts, tools, mechanisms, and devices.
- Solves problems relative to work-holding arrangement, unusual materials, machine settings and tools.
- Maintains safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Documents actions by completing production work instructions.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Abides by all company Environmental Health and Safety requirements and regulations.
- High School diploma or G.E.D
- 2+ years' CNC machining experience
- Experience in machining of ceramic materials; e.g. alumina, silicon carbide.
- Interprets blueprints, sketches, and engineering specifications
- Experience with CNC software.
- Use a variety of machinist hand tools and precision measuring instruments
- Attention to detail and good written skills
- OSHA Safety knowledgeable (materials handling safety/traceability; FOD prevention)
- General housekeeping
- U.S. Citizenship is a requirement for employment
- Associates Degree in Manufacturing Technology or equivalent.
- 4+ years' additional education and/ CNC machine experience - Ceramics
- Expert in ASME Y14.5-2009, Dimensioning and Tolerancing specification.
- CNC Machine Operator Training Program or Certification
- Proven and demonstrated experience in machining of ceramic materials; e.g. alumina, silicon carbide.
- Proficiency with MasterCAM, SurfCAM or equivalent CNC software.
- Set up and operates a variety of machine tools.
- Work with little supervision
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs on occasion
Back to top