Cloud Architect (Consulting Level)
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Expand your career through experience and exposure, all the while supporting a mission that seeks to ensure the security and freedom of our nation and its allies.
Join us on the edge.... the Cutting Edge!
Northrop Grumman's Enterprise Services organization is seeking a Cloud Architect at the Falls Church, VA Corporate office. This position will support the strategy and consulting capabilities of our Infrastructure Services group. This individual will be a subject matter expert (SME) with Cloud (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS) strategy, edge nodes, and consulting experience, capable of visualizing what it means to go from legacy computing environments to utilizing some of the best, world-class Cloud computing offerings available.
The ideal candidate will have the capability of building maturity model to help NextGen and its sector customers realize roadmaps and objectives for the journey to Multi-Cloud computing. Additionally, this self-starter, with strong executive presence, must be able to function in a fast pace agile environment and be able to adapt as innovations occurs.
•Create a well-informed Cloud strategy, manage the adoption process and implementation strategies.
• Promotes adaptive design and modern engineering practices across the enterprise portfolio, facilitating the reuse of ideas, components, services, and proven patterns.
• Responsible for evaluating and recommending best-of-breed Cloud architectures for the enterprise, to include providing expertise architecting, designing, engineering and migrating legacy infrastructure and applications to the Cloud; using industry best practice Agile-DevSecOps and containerization methodologies or strategies.
•Provide expertise with Cloud-to-Cloud migrations.
• Regularly evaluate cloud infrastructure, applications, and software.
• Work closely with IT security to monitor and refine the corporation's security framework.
• Offer guidance in infrastructure movement techniques including bulk application transfers into the cloud.
• Responsible for ensuring that all Cloud solutions comply with industry and Government mandated security protocols and best-practices; working closely with our Information Security Service line.
• Responsible for ensuring technical project deliverables are completed accurately and on time.
• Responsible for escalating issues, problems, risks, and constraints to the appropriate levels for clarification and resolution.
• Responsible for design and engineering of Cloud Based Infrastructure solutions based on AWS or Azure Cloud Technologies.
• Responsible for communication with senior/executive leadership.
• Responsible for keeping abreast of new and emerging technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide thought leadership for creating strategies that drive enterprise transformation activities with particular focus on governing, creating, and maintaining enterprise-wide architecture practices.
• Maintain a holistic perspective of the organization's strategy, processes, and information and technology assets.
• Look years ahead to consider the long-term consequences for the enterprise when choosing a technical direction, proposing a technology investment, proposing harmonization of the environments, proposing simplification opportunities, or advising a business leader on strategic issues.
• Catalogs, develops, coordinates, communicates, maintains, and enforces overall Enterprise Architecture Models, Representations, Initiatives, Capabilities, and Standard Components used by the Enterprise to perform all business and technology related activities.
• Integrate across major enterprise initiatives, identifying and resolving inefficiencies, conflicts, and gaps and promoting cross-portfolio planning.
• Interact with corporate and sector CIOs, and other senior leaders, serving as an expert advisor in the development, implementation, and maintenance of enterprise-wide architecture practices.
• Support sector strategy function including investment planning and prioritization process.
• Experience architecting automated, fault-tolerant, scalable Cloud environments adhering to best practices.
• Maintain Cloud Infrastructure in Optimal Configuration from both technical and budgetary perspectives
• Experience refactoring or rebuilding on-premise applications/infrastructure and migration to Public Cloud (AWS and Azure initially)
• Deploy, test and document development, pre-production, and production environments
• Train and mentor Architects and Engineers - Provides guidance and coaching to solution and system architects, ensuring consistency with enterprise architecture tenants, Lean-Agile and tenets, user experience mindset, and cybersecurity requirements
• Assist in preparing cost analysis based on expected usage
• Improve the operational capabilities of enterprise infrastructure
• Own communication with stakeholders at all levels - Internally "sell" the architecture process, its outcome, and ongoing results through effective communication and influencing skills.
• Support the investigation of reported and suspected outage issues, documenting issue, resolution, maintaining a knowledge base of known issues
• Gain an understanding of the existing technical environments and workloads that are targeted to migrate to the cloud, taking note of any potential gaps or risks.
• Perform Analyses of Alternatives for selection of new tools to replace toolsets that are not supported in the cloud, not optimized for the cloud or do not take advantage of newer leading edge technology available in the cloud.
• Work with the team to build out prototypes of application environments in the cloud as a proof of concept, while building insight into what works and what doesn't work as well.
• Make recommendations on how to achieve additional cost savings taking advantage of cloud-enabled technologies.
• Perform testing of cloud-based infrastructure, to include performance testing, high availability testing, disaster recovery testing, etc.
• Support the Stand up software development lifecycle tools, such as source control, issue management, knowledge base, service desk support, etc.
• Support the build-out of development, QA, and production environments within the cloud
• Work closely with the development team to establish build environments which take advantage of continuous integration, continuous deployment, etc. to reduce the overall time for code to be deployed to production.
• Lead technical discussions, work collaboratively with others, and communicate effectively with customers and team members.
• BA/BS degree with a minimum of 20 years of relevant IT professional experience; 18 years of experience with a MS degree, 15 years of experience with a PHD.
• At least 5 years of Cloud design, execution and supporting of Cloud based solutions.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Cloud computing technologies and current computing trends.
• Hands-on experience designing and/or implementing cloud-based and/or cloud-native solutions in production workloads.
• Experience working in a DevOps environment with teams.
• Working knowledge and experience with Kubernetes and Containers
• Experience communicating complicated cloud reports to management and other IT development partners.
• US Citizenship
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
• Experience using Amazon Web Services, including using AWS native services (Cloud Formation, S3, etc.).
• Understanding of Agile, DevOps and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) is strongly desired.
• AWS or Microsoft Cloud Certification desired for all personnel
• At least 3 years in enterprise Cloud deployments desired
• At least 4 years of development experience desired
• understanding of Linux and Windows operating system
• Advanced troubleshooting skills
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or related field.
• Multiple Cloud platforms (Commercial and Government) - AWS, Azure, Google, IBM
• Capability in architecture design, system evaluation, system analysis, and infrastructure assessment
• Experience with AWS CloudWatch and other automation services
• Experience in Microsoft based applications
• Experience Maintaining account documentation, such as architecture diagrams and portal links.
• Master's degree preferred
• Agile experience preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top