Chief Engineer/System Architect - Space
- Dulles, VA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
This position is within the Tactical Space Systems Division, reporting to the Space System Division Chief Engineer. The selected candidate will serve as the senior technical authority for review, evaluation and technical assessment of both current and future programs as well as the spacecraft product lines across the Tactical Space Systems Division. This senior leader receives strategic, business, and administrative direction from the Chief Engineer of the Space System Division and shall be able act in his place for activities. This position has three major responsibilities as defined below, and has the broad ability to guide and direct new business efforts, product design, development and mission operations decisions.
The selected candidate is expected to be self-directed and leverage previous experience to effectively interact with the business unit programs and senior management to perform 1) technical evaluation, assessment, and the execution of the ISO-9000 review process in collaboration with the TSS Director of Systems Engineering, 2) program/product line program oversight, development, and interaction; and 3) leadership of anomaly resolutions and tiger teams in support of the business areas at the request of the SSD Chief Engineer or TSS VP's respectively. As the CE, the candidate will function as the final technical authority for this area, being involved all major customer reviews (possibly the chair), new business pursuit evaluations and technical recommendations, and product development in support of this business. In addition, the candidate should have experience across the full mission program lifecycle, from concept development through operations; and preferably with experience in on-orbit anomaly resolution. In all areas, the prospective Chief Engineer will be expected not only to lead and perform required technical activities, but also to mentor engineers and lead teams that endeavor to grow our collective expertise and further or customer relationships.
The technical and team leadership duties above are expected to be in roughly three equal parts; with higher levels required during launch support, anomaly resolution, or individual program support help. The selected individual will be supporting direct programs, new business/proposals, and product line development on the budget of the Chief Engineer. As the TSS Office of the Chief Engineer (OCE) needs continue to grow, this position will likely start to supervise and manager a small group of subject-matter experts.
WRITTEN AND VERBAL CONTACT
- Perform engineering duties as assigned by the Office of the Chief Engineer (OCE).
- Lead engineering analysis and anomaly reviews, as well as support formal program and proposal reviews.
- Review the design and architecture of the SSD programs, ensuring completeness, accuracy and adherence to established NGIS systems engineering processes and technical standards/procedures.
- Participate in the development of Mission System requirements and specifications for various systems through multiple program phases as part of the product line development process.
- Support new business development, including review of technical and cost volumes, detailed Basis of Estimates (BOE) using established Work Breakdown Structures as part of the product line development process
- Support the NG Non-Advocate Reviews and Independent Cost Estimate (NAR/ICE) process for either SSD or cross-division or cross-sector strategic proposals
- Support product line Engineering Review Boards (ERBs), Corrective Action Boards (CABs) and Failure Review Boards (FRBs), as required
- Support pre-proposal analysis, proposal development, mission and system analysis, specification and interface development, design reviews, testing, problem resolution and customer interactions as directed by the OCE.
- Support space vehicle design/development to ensure that customer & internal goals for safety, mission success, and performance are met.
- Identify technical issues, propose solution options, and follow through to resolve the issues with minimal supervision.
- Identify opportunities for improvement based upon review of anomaly and failure data; and support development/implementation of system design improvements.
- Interface with internal and external customers and associates in engineering, manufacturing, integration and test, safety and mission assurance, and program management.
- Prepare weekly status reports and periodic technical reports for senior management to document individual and collective status on program(s), pursuit(s), and anomalies.
- Set and exhibit high standards for integrity, quality, and safety in every action; foster engagement for technical excellence as technical leader in SSD.
Support the SSD Chief Engineer in the management of the Office of the Chief Engineer (OCE) Group, to direct and manage the Division CEs and subject matter experts. For 2020, based upon planned growth, the direct personnel management of a small group of program CEs and subject-matter experts (SMEs) for the business area may become part of the duties.
The candidate will work with cross-discipline team members and therefore must have excellent communication skills, presentation experience and the ability to work seamlessly with a diverse community of engineers and managers to achieve the goals of the systems team. The candidate must have the ability to build consensus and resolve conflict. Experience with large group public speaking is desired.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Systems or Aerospace Engineering or a related Engineering field
- Minimum of 20 years of experience (or 18 years with MS or 15 years with a PhD) in mission design, space or ground systems design, development, manufacture, test or operations, including 5-7 years of functional or project team leadership positions.
- Experience leading mission systems and spacecraft design efforts, including detailed requirement flow-down, mission system architecture and ConOps development.
- Strong Electrical or Mechanical background with a very good understanding of guidance navigation and control, propulsion, thermal, fight software, and ground systems
- Experience leading tiger-team investigations for anomaly or accident investigation
- Ability to read and interpret Engineering drawings/schematics.
- Ability to review presentations, emails, white papers, trade studies, vendor analyses and reports for content and accuracy.
- Self-starter capable of isolating needed program interactions and performing assigned tasks with very little or no direction.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams, internal and external program offices and customers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, technical writing experience, and an ability to perform oral presentations in front of large groups.
- Space system/mission analysis and design (full mission-life-cycle experience)
- Significant Knowledge of System Safety engineering principles and System Reliability.
- Experience with reliability analyses and verification, including reliability predictions, FMECA (failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis), and fault tree analysis.
- Analytical thinker with a demonstrated ability of solving complex problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships within teams.
- Space system testing and evaluation (flight and ground testing)
- Mission System architecture design and ConOps development for large programs
- Mission Operations for launch and spacecraft on-orbit verification/commissioning
- System engineering requirement/verification tools and processes
- Development and maintenance of interface control documents and related processes
- Experience with Windchill Quality Solutions Reliability software tool
- Personnel development, performance assessments, mentoring and conflict resolution
Back to top