Associate Mechanical Engineer
- Devens, MA
Associate Mechanical Engineer - Devens MA
Adaptive Optics Associates - Xinetics (AOA Xinetics), a wholly-owned Northrop Grumman Space Systems, Payload and Ground Systems Division Business Venture, has an exciting new opportunity for an Associate Mechanical Engineer to support Xinetics business activities in Devens MA.
AOA Xinetics (AOX) designs, develops, and manufactures precision, advanced optical products and systems such as deformable mirrors, optical systems, adaptive optics control systems and silicon carbide optical structures for the U.S. Government, commercial customers, and U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy, semiconductor capital equipment, Defense ISR, and Directed Energy. Several potential direct and adjacent application areas also exist.
AOX delivers industrial photonics systems and development services for a variety of customers and applications. AOX excels in a range of applications from adaptive optical systems, deformable mirrors, wavefront sensors, precision actuators, to photonic systems that acquire and process data in real time for a variety of high availability applications. AOX's capabilities include lightweight passive and active hybrid CERAFORM silicon carbide optics and precision structures as well as large and small precision opto-mechanical systems supporting electronics and sophisticated controls software.
Reporting to the Xinetics Engineering Manager, the Associate Mechanical Engineer will perform design and analysis for space, ground and airborne optical systems including complex electro-optical and opto-mechanical systems, designing hardware that satisfies system requirements, documenting design approaches, detailing parts and assembly drawings to support the development, manufacture, and test of optical systems.
- Perform mechanical design on multiple projects through all phases of development and manufacturing.
- Create part and assembly models, detailed drawings and associated parts lists, in accordance with AMSE Y14.5 and AOX drawing standards.
- Perform analysis of optics, mounting strategies, detailed geometric tolerances, manufacturability, and cost
- Perform vibration, shock, thermal, static, stress analyses
- Support transition to production and manufacturing engineering
- Provide technical solutions to complex problems which require regular use of technical acumen, ingenuity and creativity
- Perform trade studies, design of experiments, assembly and testing of parts, components, and assemblies
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- One to two years of mechanical design, development, analysis and FEA work, internship, co-op and/or education combined experience
- A thorough understanding of mechanical engineering principles, theories, and applications;
- Analytical problem solver with strong technical abilities; results and deadline driven; excellent oral and written communication skills including presentation skills
- Proficient in MS Office software
- Basic SolidWorks software skills or similar
- US Citizenship is a requirement for employment
- Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Business or other STEM discipline
- Understanding of opto-mechanical design best practices and basic understanding of the other engineering disciplines
- Finite Element Analysis using NASTRAN, ANSYS or other FEA tools
- MatLab and MS Project software skills
- Active Secret or Top Secret security clearance
Back to top