Associate Engineer Systems
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems Specialty Systems Engineering Department has an immediate opening for an Associate Systems Safety Engineer that is a "systems thinker" , likes the "big picture", and who has a basic working knowledge of systems / software development life-cycle . As an Associate Systems Safety Engineer, you will develop specialized knowledge and skills, and implement scientific and engineering principles, criteria, and techniques to ensure that our systems are designed to protect personnel from accidental death, injury, or occupational illness and safeguard defense systems, infrastructure, and property from accidental destruction, or damage while executing its mission requirements of national defense, and ensure that the quality of the environment is protected to the maximum extent practical. The candidate will join our System Safety Engineering team of qualified, diverse individuals. The position will be located in Melbourne, FL.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Applies knowledge, methodologies and principles of system safety engineering as defined in MIL-STD-882E and Joint Software System Safety Handbook to identify hazards and then to eliminate the hazards or reduce the associated risks when the hazards cannot be eliminated;
- Reviews product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishes safety requirements for assigned systems;
- Independently analyzes and recommends safety criteria in system design, equipment and procedures to control or eliminate hazards;
- Develops requirements and designs, assess implementations for hazard and causal factors to satisfy critical system safety objectives;
- Develops and evaluates systems, associated support equipment and facilities, networks and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable safety specifications and standards;
- Support senior system safety engineers and collaborate with various design teams in the execution of various MIL-STD-882E analyses;
- Applies engineering principles to investigate, analyze, plan, design, test, or evaluate military weapons systems;
- Reviews and prepares engineering and technical analyses, reports, change proposals, and other technical documentation for system safety and in support of Airworthiness Certification IAW MIL-HDBK-516;
- Perform system safety in Model Based Engineering (MBE) environment;
- Implement software safety in an AGILE SW development environment
- Be completing or has completed their degree (Bachelor's Master's, or PhD) from an accredited institution.
- Be majoring in or having majored in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) degree
- Must have an Active In-scope DoD Secret Security Clearance that has been granted / renewed within the past 5 years
- The ability to obtain and maintain specific program access
- Prior military experience
- Military Aircraft / DoD programs experience
- Understanding of Systems Engineering processes and procedures
- Model Based Systems Engineering academic or work-related experience
- Software development experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top