Airworthiness Engineer 4 - Unmanned Systems (UAS)
Airworthiness at Northrop Grumman
As one of the world’s premier manufacturers of next generation manned and unmanned aircraft, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems established the Office of Independent Airworthiness (OIAW) in 2014. The mission of the OIAW is to ensure that the aircraft we make are in line with customer standards and in compliance with the appropriate governing agencies, from the first flight baseline to the Flight Readiness Review (FRR) to the final recommendation of the aircraft’s airworthiness.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The OIAW is looking for technical leaders in the areas of Airworthiness:
- Lead airworthiness projects
- Act as technical subject matter expert (SME)
- Drive project evaluation and execution process and
- Be a thought leader working across disciplines to establish best practices in airworthiness.
The OIAW provides training in NGAS, DOD, and/or international airworthiness specific training. The career opportunities are tremendous, including consideration to be become a FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) candidate.
The Airworthiness Engineer will:
- Develop and perform technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development of airworthiness approach, plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities for complex total systems.
- Ensure the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness compliance (MIL-HDBK-516, FAA Part 23, FAA Part 25 and international standards) into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g. flight releases, type certification, continued airworthiness, and operational or airspace Integration)
- Lead airworthiness initiatives within Autonomous Systems and Manned Aircraft Systems
- Review and coordinate with other airworthiness engineers, as well as with internal engineering disciplines at all levels of total system to include: design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal.
- Perform functional and process analyses, requirements allocation and definition studies to translate customer requirements into sound technical solutions, criteria, and requirements.
- BS degree in a STEM discipline
- Aircraft development program experience
- DoD or FAA/EASA Airworthiness Certification Experience
- MS degree in a STEM discipline
- MIL-HDBK-516C airworthiness certification criteria experience
- USAF airworthiness process and regulations experience
- MIL-STD-882E system safety experience
- Strong communication skills & ability to influence across disciplines and at many levels of leadership
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top