Aeroacoustic Principal Engineer Systems
Northrop Grumman is an industry leader in Stealth Technology. Our Aerospace Systems team develops, integrates, produces, and supports manned and unmanned aircraft, spacecraft, microelectronics, and other systems and subsystems. We are developing and delivering state-of-the-art aeroacoustic technologies and capabilities to the Customer community through an innovative, efficient, and dedicated team of engineers. We collaborate with a variety of Survivability and Flight Sciences teams to execute rapid demonstration projects targeting technology transition and new business growth.
We are seeking an Aeroacoustic Engineer to join our team on a variety of technically challenging projects. The selected candidate will become part of Northrop Grumman's System Survivability Technology Development & Integration Team supporting Infrared (IR), Visual, and Acoustic signature modeling, measurement, and mitigation through advanced technology development. The team works in a dynamic research and development (R&D) environment, which requires sophisticated problem solving skills, proactivity, resourcefulness, and an ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team as well as being proactive and resourceful. Given Customer set and the rapid development timelines, engineers will interact directly with Customers, operators, users, partners, subcontractors, and other Northrop Grumman engineers with a broad range of responsibilities including: proposal development, project planning, technology maturation, remote and local test planning and execution, data reduction and analysis, and report and presentation preparation and delivery. Project subjects vary in scope from individual treatments and components to substantial airframe clean sheet designs.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop proposal strategies and proposals
- Invent new technologies and capabilities and develop and execute novel technology development plans to transition
- Develop and execute anechoic and wind tunnel test plans including subcontractor collaboration and management
- Develop and execute flight test plans for acoustic characterization including measurement hardware maintenance and operation
- Reduce and analyze large data sets from unique measurement activities
- Compile, report, and present engineering plans and results
- Operate as principal investigator and point of contact for multiple research and development projects
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an ABET accredited university and 5+ years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace/defense environment OR Master's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an ABET accredited university and 3+ years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace/defense environment OR PhD Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an ABET accredited university and 9+ years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace/Defense environment
- Must have and be able to maintain an active U.S. Government security clearance at the Secret level with a background investigation date within 10 years.
- Experience programming/scripting for data reduction (Matlab, Python, Labview)
- Understanding of aeroacoustic phenomenology/physics
- Basic understanding of aircraft design process and engineering tools (Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD))
- Ability to present technical concepts and engineering progress with technical leadership and Customers
- Preferred Qualifications
- Master degree in in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- Three (3) years experience in aerospace industry
- Strong theoretical/academic and practical/laboratory aerospace or mechanical engineering background
- DoD Secret clearance
- SAP access(es)
- Anechoic chamber and/or wind tunnel test planning and execution experience
- Flight test planning, execution, and large data set reduction and analysis experience
- Propeller design, fabrication methods, and signature and performance analysis experience; familiarity with blade element theory and Finite Element Modeling (FEM)
- Jet noise theory, design techniques, and signature and performance analysis experience
- Aircraft design and analysis experience pertaining to Survivability
- Computational Aeroacoustics (CAA) and/or Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top