Advanced Optical Communications Engineer 5
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of major technological advancements throughout our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Electronics & Payloads Organization is looking for an Advanced Optical Communications Engineer 5 to join their team of innovative and diverse engineers. The position is located at our facility in El Segundo, CA. The Advanced Optical Communications Engineer is responsible for design, development, integration, and test of optical communications systems for a developmental program.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Requirements management, system integration, test development/execution of optical communications systems (link budgets, optical modem and telescope design, and signal characteristics)
- Perform communication system analysis and system performance trade studies
- Document system requirements and interfaces (e.g., optical, electrical, mechanical and software), with traceability to platform requirements
- Track design and program risks, issues and opportunities
- Perform review and analysis of supplier design data, definition of functional test requirements including acceptance, qualification, and system integration
- Direct the activities of subordinate engineers to complete project assignments
- Perform liaison duties to disseminate information to suppliers, customers, technology development partners, management and other Integrated Product Teams
- Management of supplier technical and contractual performance
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) and 14 years of direct experience with aerospace communications systems and/or optical components
- Must have an active DOD Secret clearance
- Masters Degree in Engineering
- Experience with the integration and test of optical communications systems or component sub-systems on platforms
- Experience with free-space optical communications
- Working knowledge of communication engineering theory
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top