2020 Principal Research Scientist- Promontory
Your opportunities for achievement are limitless with Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on projects and programs that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to improve the present, invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an endless drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman is seeking a Principal Research Scientist. This position will be located at our innovation System Sector in Promontory, UT.
• Work with the Labs to perform the experiments you have specified in your test matrices
• Organize and interpret your data
• Analyze overall data for conclusions and model results when applicable
• Translate questions, problems and budgets into testing and modeling activities that will answer the questions posed.
• Work with other members of the group in a team environment to answer rocket motor service life questions
Skills & Qualifications:
• Understanding of analytical chemical testing
• Understanding of mechanical properties testing
• Understanding of statistics and error analysis
• Ability to conduct computer modeling of results with codes such as C++ and Mathematica
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture.
• Travel expectation of 10%
A candidate, regardless of age and hiring source, must meet ALL of the below criteria. The candidate must:
• Be completing or has completed their PhD degree from an accredited institution.
• Be majoring in or having majored in a STEM Degree
• Have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher (unofficial academic transcripts must be provided at time of application by uploading the documents to your application or profile)
• Be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite)
• Demonstrated proficiency in measurement and modeling of diffusion and reaction mechanisms
• Ability to write and execute test plans with controlled environments followed by mechanical testing and chemical testing of samples by chromatography, spectroscopy, NMR, etc.
• Working knowledge of chemical sensor technologies and ability to conduct feasibility and sensitivity tests for reaction species.
• Experience in energetic materials synthesis a plus
• Demonstrated experience and working knowledge of chemical analysis such as GC, GC/MS, HPLC, LC/MS, FTIR, NMR, and Wet lab tests a plus
• Demonstrated experience and understanding of the decomposition reactions of the NG containing propellants used on Navy strategic systems a plus
• Experience with investigation and troubleshooting of Aerospace materials and processing a plus
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top