2020 Guidance, Navigation, and Control Intern
- Dulles, VA
Northrop Grumman's Innovation Systems is seeking a motivated candidate that will fill the position of Spacecraft Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) engineer and GNC Operations Engineer Interns. A spacecraft GNC engineer intern is responsible for contributing to the design, analysis, and testing of the GNC subsystem for the space vehicle. A spacecraft GNC engineer will work within the GNC subsystem team and under the supervision of the GNC subsystem lead.
This position will complete tasks related to the development and support of mission operations processes and procedures for customer space missions. The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, writing, and executing spacecraft GNC related activities and procedures for customer space missions,
- Planning and verifying spacecraft maneuvers and executing real-time telemetry analysis
- Support on-orbit anomaly resolution,
- Support algorithm development, mission simulation, scripting, and verification activities,
- Participation in mission rehearsals to simulate engineering tasks performed in operations,
- Participation in rotating 24x7 mission operations shift coverage, and
- Generation of data analysis reports.
- Design, analyze, and tune spacecraft attitude and position control loops using time and frequency domain techniques
- Design, analyze, and tune sequential filters (e.g. Kalman filters) for attitude determination and relative navigation
- Analyze and test the spacecraft GNC subsystem performance using simulations and other analytic tools
- Implement GNC algorithms in flight software and support flight software qualification testing
- Perform analysis to support early design phase concept development including actuator sizing and placement, sensor selection and placement, and predicted performance assessments
- Develop simulation models for sensors (e.g. star tracker, rate gyro, accelerometer, GPS, magnetometer, sun sensors), actuators (e.g. reaction wheel, torque bar, thruster, CMG), system dynamics (e.g. rigid body, multi-body, orbit mechanics, flexible models), and the space environment (e.g. atmospheric, solar radiation pressure, third-body gravity, geopotential)
- Apply engineering principles, industry standards, company process, and knowledge of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, classical/modern control, and estimation theory to perform tasks to advanced program/project goals
- Document designs, analysis, and test results and create presentation materials
- Present designs, analysis, and test results to internal and external customers
Performance standards that an incumbent must have to be successful in this position include:
- Leadership and teamwork capabilities
- Interpersonal communication skills - this position requires the ability to regularly collaborate with personnel from design engineering, production, field service, management, and the customer.
- Extracurricular activities (campus organizations, clubs, student organizations, community service)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Be able to manage multiple tasks.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills - this position requires ability to create clear technical documentation of analyses, methods, results, conclusions, and recommendations.
Prospect Qualifications: A prospect, regardless of age and hiring source must meet all of the below criteria:
- Enrolled in or having received an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college/university majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or related degree
- Possess an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite)
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
- MS or PhD degree in engineering, physics, or math
- Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink and C/C++
- Experience in spacecraft GNC subsystem design, analysis, and testing
- Experience implementing GNC algorithms on embedded systems
- Current Top Secret/SCI Clearance preferred
- Prior internship or research experience in related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite
- Previous/current membership or leadership roles in professional groups, clubs, or extracurricular activities is desired
- Good Analysis and problem solving abilities .
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top