2020 Engineer Guidance Navigation Control- Dulles, VA
- Dulles, VA
Northrop Grumman's Innovation Systems is seeking a motivated candidate that will fill the position of Spacecraft Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) engineer. GNC is designing, building, testing spacecraft components for a mix of DoD, NASA, and commercial customers. We are leaders in innovative solutions to the rapidly growing/evolving fields of space based autonomous rendezvous and docking and rapid design/production of small satellites. We are seeking a highly-talented and ambitious Engineer to take responsibility for the attitude control solutions that meet our spacecraft requirements. The spacecraft GNC analysis engineer will work within the GNC subsystem team and under the supervision of the GNC subsystem lead.
Depending on the engineer's strengths and areas of interest, an engineer may choose to focus on one of two areas GNC analysis or GNC components (or some combination).
A spacecraft GNC analysis engineer is expected to:
- Design, analyze, and tune spacecraft attitude and position control loops using time and frequency domain techniques
- Design, analyze, and tune sequential filters (e.g. Kalman filters) for attitude determination and relative navigation
- Analyze and test the spacecraft GNC subsystem performance using simulations and other analytic tools
- Implement GNC algorithms in flight software and support flight software qualification testing
- Perform analysis to support early design phase concept development including actuator sizing and placement, sensor selection and placement, and predicted performance assessments
- Develop simulation models for sensors (e.g. star tracker, rate gyro, accelerometer, GPS, magnetometer, sun sensors), actuators (e.g. reaction wheel, torque bar, thruster, CMG), system dynamics (e.g. rigid body, multi-body, orbit mechanics, flexible models), and the space environment (e.g. atmospheric, solar radiation pressure, third-body gravity, geopotential)
- Perform GNC component trade studies (including make/buy trades and supplier identification/research). These components may include but are not limited to star cameras, lidars, GPS receivers, sun sensors, reaction wheels, IR cameras, and space based visible cameras.
- Work with the subcontracts/supply chain team as the technical lead to manage procurements including documentation and design reviews
- Work with the team to integrate and test all spacecraft GNC components
- Work closely with multiple suppliers, across multiple subsystems, presenting to managers and customers. Communication is a key element of your role
All GNC engineers are expected to:
- Apply engineering principles, industry standards, company process, and knowledge of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, classical/modern control, and estimation theory to perform tasks to advanced program/project goals
- Document designs, analysis, and test results and create presentation materials
- Present designs, analysis, and test results to internal and external customers
- Work well within small- to medium-sized groups
Performance standards that an incumbent must have to be successful in this position include:
- Leadership and teamwork capabilities
- Interpersonal communication skills - this position requires the ability to regularly collaborate with personnel from design engineering, production, field service, management, and the customer.
- Extracurricular activities (campus organizations, clubs, student organizations, community service)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Be able to manage multiple tasks.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills - this position requires ability to create clear technical documentation of analyses, methods, results, conclusions, and recommendations.
Prospect Qualifications: A prospect, regardless of age and hiring source must meet all of the below criteria:
- Enrolled in or having received an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college/university majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or related degree
- Possess an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite)
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
- MS or PhD degree in engineering, physics, or math
- Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink and C/C++
- Experience in spacecraft GNC subsystem design, analysis, and testing
- Experience implementing GNC algorithms on embedded systems
- Current Top Secret/SCI Clearance preferred
- Prior internship or research experience in related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite
- Previous/current membership or leadership roles in professional groups, clubs, or extracurricular activities is desired
- Good Analysis and problem solving abilities .
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top