2017 Intern Technical Baltimore (Systems Engineering)
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Northrop Grumman that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Northrop Grumman.
Your opportunities for achievement are limitless with Northrop Grumman Mission Systems.
An internship at Northrop Grumman is unique. Sure, you'll learn new skills, explore our enterprise, network with experts, connect with thought leaders, and finish with a resume that opens doors. But you'll gain something even more valuable: pride in what you've done. Join us and launch your career. We'll support you with training, employee resource groups, and our shared vision of global security.
Northrop Grumman is seeking Systems Engineers for an internship opportunity. This position will be located at our Mission Systems Sector in Baltimore, MD.
The qualified candidate will become part of Northrop Grumman's Systems Engineering, Integration, Test and Field Engineering (SEIT&FE) Organization supporting Mission Systems Engineering, Radar Systems Engineering, Nonkinetics & EO/IR Systems Engineering, Naval & Marine Systems Engineering, and Systems Integration Test & Field Engineering. A successful candidate will have significant experience in design and development projects through internships/co-ops and university research. Completion of relevant course work is beneficial. Relevant courses may include electromagnetic theory, classical mechanics, discrete time signal processing, probability and statistics, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, algorithms and numerical methods. Classes completed or experience related to any aspect of radar, electronic warfare, navigation, command & control, exterior/interior communication, electro/optical infrared theory or systems security engineering are a plus but not required. In addition, proficiency in tools such as Matlab, Mathcad, and C/C , as well as experience in Windows and/or Unix/Linux operating systems are important.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Translating customer requirements into hardware and/or software requirements
- Developing models and simulations
- Estimating the performance of a system
- Developing detailed simulations of a system and its environment
- Performing model based systems engineering
- Defining the signal processing algorithm chain that is executed in a real-time computer application
- Architecting a system
A candidate, regardless of age and hiring source, must meet ALL of the below criteria. The candidate must:
- Be a student who is enrolled full-time and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college/university
- Be majoring in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Engineering Physics, Applied Mathematics or a closely related Engineering discipline
- Have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.25/4.0 or higher (unofficial academic transcripts must be provided at time of application by uploading the documents to your application or profile)
- Be available to work full-time (40 hours per week) for at least 10 weeks during summer 2017
- Be able to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite)
- Have proficiency in at least one tools such as Matlab, Mathcad, and C/C or related analytic and programming tools
- Have experience in Windows and/or Unix/Linux operating systems
- Have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.70/4.0 or higher
- Previous internship/co-op experience, leadership & teamwork capabilities, interpersonal communication skills, and activities (professional/community/extracurricular)
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate small teams
- Experience working in an autonomous environment on complex projects
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For a complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top