Set up and operate department equipment such as portable welding units, automated welding units and overlay machines. Operate equipment to perform a series of welding operations such as one- and two-handed MiG, TiG, Arc, Sub Arc and stainless steel overlay on production materials in both horizontal and vertical positions.
Work from complex blueprints, engineering drawings, and specifications, job orders, tooling instructions and standard charts to obtain such specifications as dimensions, tolerances, and tooling instructions. Make required adjustments to equipment to compensate for material or other external conditions. Troubleshoot and resolve various types of operating difficulties, recommend corrective action on process failures within the department. Determine correct gases/gas mix/flow, welding rods or welding wire to use to achieve required weld; be able to use micrometers and other associated tools; be able to hold tight tolerances; be able to maintain proper and accurate records, including inspection reports. May need to complete ASME certification
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up and operate welding equipment
- Operate hand tools as needed in a safe and efficient manner
- Must know and understand different types of material for proper welding specifications, such as pre-heat and post-heat
- Read and understand drawings, and be able to hold tolerances required
- Be able to properly utilize measuring tools such as a tape measure, micrometer, vernier or caliper
- May need to operate overhead crane, forklift, and/or hand trucks as necessary
Education and Experience Requirements
- 3-5 years' experience in several welding disciplines
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read, understand and interpret blueprints, schematics, etc.
- Ability to properly use micrometers and other measuring devices to determine dimensions and tolerances
- Ability to properly use a tape measure
- Familiarity with all types of welding operations on all types of materials
- Familiarity with required hand tools; their applications and uses; and safe handling requirements
- Lifting requirements: Up to 50 lbs.
- Push/Pull requirements: up to 25% of the workday
- Standing/sitting requirements: standing up to 50% of the workday
- Bending/squatting requirements: up to 75% of the workday
- Use of steps/ladders: no ladder usage; stepping (stairs and/or platform): periodic up to 40% of the workday
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
Meet Some of Nordson's Employees
Taking on new challenges in multiple markets worldwide, Madeline takes pleasure in designing, testing, and improving Nordson's expansive products and systems as an engineer.
Back to top