Waterjet / Surface Grinder
Sets up and operate a water jet to cut metallic barrels that are utilized in the injection and extrusion molding machines. Also will setup and operate vertical grinding machine to grinding flat surface on the metallic barrels. This work involves finishing to close tolerance dimensions using a Grinding Machine, related tooling and inspection gages.
Work from complex blueprints, engineering drawings, and specifications, job orders, tooling instructions and standard charts to obtain such specifications as dimensions, tolerances, and tooling instructions. Make required adjustments to machinery to compensate for material tooling, machine or conditions. Troubleshoot and resolve various types of operating difficulties, recommend corrective action on process failures within the department.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, work orders, specifications, drawings, blueprints, and procedure manuals.
- Sets up, operates and performs preventive maintenance of grinding machine and water jet equipment.
- Positions workpiece in fixture or on machine table, and secures it with clamps and wrenches, verifying positions with instruments such as surface gages and dial indicators.
- Selects feed rate, grinding speed, to optimize metal removal according to knowledge of metal properties, abrasives, and shop mathematics.
- Uses a variety of precision measuring instruments and tools to ensure proper tolerances are maintained.
- Replace worn grinding stones.
- Meets established standards for productivity and quality.
- Operates overhead crane systems and material handling equipment.
- Lifting requirements: Up to 50 lbs.
- Push/Pull requirements: up to 25% of the workday
- Standing/sitting requirements: standing up to 100% of the workday
- Bending/squatting requirements: up to 25% of the workday
- Use of steps/ladders: no ladder usage; stepping (stairs and/or platform): periodic up to 20% of the workday
- Climbing/reaching: up to 20% of the workday, depending on number of set-ups and needed machine adjustments
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- 2-3 years' experience in a machine shop and/or the equivalent in training in shop practices.
- Must have the ability to read specifications, drawings, blueprints, and procedure manuals and the use precision instruments.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Professional and obtain great work ethics.
- A problem solver with initiative and a results-oriented mindset.
- Greatly attentive to detail.
- Ability to work flexible work schedule; OT may be required.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Manufacturing environment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Training in Pulaski, Virginia
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
Meet Some of Nordson's Employees
Taking on new challenges in multiple markets worldwide, Madeline takes pleasure in designing, testing, and improving Nordson's expansive products and systems as an engineer.
Back to top