Supervisor, Production - First Shift
The Production Supervisor will direct, supervise, and coordinate production through execution of the planning schedule, provide direction to union subordinates guided by established company policies and engineering standards, and interpret and execute policies. The Supervisor will also manage/enforce attendance policies, safety and housekeeping, including recognition and/or discipline of employees assigned. The Supervisor will work closely with the Planning/Scheduling, Purchasing, Engineering and Maintenance teams to execute production schedules and implement continuous improvement objectives. The Supervisor will also participate in Safety committees and enforce safe practices including environmental policies. In addition, the Supervisor will develop a training matrix for assigned employees and execute training plans that support all of Operations; execute these training plans as well as performance appraisals and reviews.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage utilization of manpower, skills, hours, material, and work flow to assure timely production and quality standards.
- Organize and assign work; instruct, guide and assist employees in the performance of their work.
- Provide information as requested to engineering, manufacturing services, etc.
- Participate in company programs, such as communications, job training, vacation schedules, and job evaluation.
- Manage the use of safety devices and equipment, supervise departmental housekeeping and maintain constant alert for hazardous conditions.
- Maintain an adequately skilled work force consistent with planning requirements and work levels.
- Maintain conformance with company work rules and regulations, issue warnings for violations and administer approved disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Manage production related supplies.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent. Equivalent is eight years related manufacturing experience.
- Lean Six Sigma knowledge is required. Green or Black Belt certification is preferred.
- Five (5) years of leadership or supervisory experience in a Union Manufacturing/Assembly environment is required.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Ability to supervise department and provide direction to others
- Detail oriented self-starter that motivates oneself and their team to accomplish daily targets
- Ability to proactively work through issues while still achieving schedules and on time performance
- Fair, firm and consistent with their direct reports
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint), SAP, Kronos and Workday
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities; ability to multi-task
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive
- Above average communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively at any level.
- Adhere to Nordson leadership values and competencies
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Production environment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, marital status, veteran status or any other reason prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Nordson's Employees
Business Unit Director
David grows Nordson’s business and manages customer demands. By maintaining organization and coordinating efficient internal teams, Nordson reduces costs and elevates the production activity.
Back to top