Set up and operate department equipment, including CNC and/or manually operated polishing machines and hand tools. Operate polishers to perform a series of polishing operations such as turning, boring, threading,facing, grinding, drilling and taping on production materials.
Work from complex blueprints, engineering drawings, and specifications, job orders, tooling instructions and standard charts to obtain such specifications as dimensions, tolerances, and tooling instructions. Make required adjustments to machinery to compensate for material tooling, machine or program conditions. Troubleshoot and resolve various types of operating difficulties, recommend corrective action on process failures within the department. Determine correct tools to use to achieve required dimensions and finish tolerances; be able tomeasure finish using micrometers and other associated tools; be able to hold tight tolerances; be able to maintain proper and accurate records, including inspection reports.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up and operate polishing equipment
- Operate hand tools as needed in a safe and efficient manner
- May need to operate overhead crane, forklift, and/or handtrucks as necessary
- Choose correct tools to achieve desired product finish, based on material and other specifications
- Read and understand drawings, and be able to hold tolerances required
- Be able to properly utilize measuring tools such as a tape measure, micrometer, vernier or caliper
Education and Experience Requirements
- 5 – 7 years experience running polishing equipment (CNC and/or manual, hand tools)
- Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read, understand and interpret blueprints, schematics, etc.
- Ability to properly use micrometers and other measuring devices to determine tolerances
- Ability to properly use a tape measure
- Familiarity with polishing tools; their applications and uses; and other items associated with polishing equipment and machine work
- Familiarity with required hand tools; their applications and uses; and safe handling requirements
- Lifting requirements: Up to 50 lbs.
- Push/Pull requirements: up to 25% of the workday
- Standing/sitting requirements: standing up to 100% of the workday
- Bending/squatting requirements: up to 25% of the workday
- Use of steps/ladders: no ladder usage; stepping (stairs and/or platform): periodic up to 20% of the workday
- Climbing/reaching: up to 20% of the workday, depending on number of set-ups and needed machine adjustments
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, marital status, veteran status or any other reason prohibited by law.
Back to top