The Instructional Designer will be an integral member of the global training development team, with overall responsibility for realizing the vision of highly trained, regional subject matter experts (SMEs) who leverage their knowledge to contribute to the success of our customers and the global sales team. The ideal candidate will develop and deploy a world-class training process that enables the SMEs to rapidly increase the local application team knowledge and expertise, enabling them to provide customers with best-in-class training. Using strong needs-analysis skills to prioritize opportunities, the Instructional Designer will partner with project stakeholders and subject matter experts to design, develop and execute innovative, new product instructional material that is highly technical in content.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with key business partners to review learning and performance needs. Conduct needs, content and learner analysis to translate opportunities into learning and skill building solutions. Stay open to the ideas of others, actively soliciting input, and practicing "yes, and" thinking.
- Manage multiple projects of varying scope and complexity to ensure project timelines, learning objectives, and budgets are met.
- Identify and implement effective and efficient methods for designing, developing, deploying modular course material including video and interactive modules.
- Increase the existing library of learning material and proposing methods for delivering content.
- Consult with subject matter experts throughout the needs analysis process to determine the best approach for the learning program, including instructional objectives, descriptions of training methods, development of exercises and job aids. Ensure that the proposed content and delivery format supports those objectives and is appropriate for the intended audience.
- Proactively build and implement assessment methods during the course design phase. Use facilitator and team feedback, hands-on experience, and intuition to analyze results and modify and improve content. When possible, measure training ROI through tested methods such as Kirkpatrick's Four-Level Model
- Prepare comprehensive reporting on learning results, analyze and take action as needed to improve.
- Create, maintain and apply documentation templates to develop training deliverables
- Design and develop learning content using a variety of delivery methods including web-based and mobile applications.
- Adapt instructional materials for multiple formats. Implement and maintain method for global distribution of training materials.
- Facilitate Train-the-Trainer sessions during rollout of new programs. Prepare internal trainers to facilitate training events. Facilitate training courses as required.
- Continuously work to improve training content and processes.
- Manage special projects as required.
- Monitor emerging training development trends and standards, bring current best practices to the organization, and push the boundaries of creativity and impact in learning.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other related Technical Field and 3-5 years of Instructional Design experience required. Master's degree in Instructional Design or Business preferred.
- Minimum 3 years' experience in Instructional Design methodology and development (e.g. ADDIE, SAM) required.
- Minimum 3 years of broad-based experience designing corporate learning instructional materials, effective delivery methods, technical documentation, script writing, needs assessment and instructional design for instructor-led, virtual, and online training.
- Proven experience implementing web-based and mobile training development content, using foundational skills necessary to produce eLearning modules that incorporate graphics, video and audio inputs.
- Experience capturing, editing, and preparing instruction video for online delivery.
- Video on demand development experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in leading classroom and virtual training courses.
- Demonstrated experience using virtual meeting software (GoTo Meeting, Live Meeting, etc.).
Skills and Abilities
- Strong collaboration skills to gather information from topic experts, generate ideas, and partner on development of training-related materials.
- Effective project management skills to organize and manage multiple projects, including the ability to re-scale solutions as system, scope and/or timelines change.
- Strong facilitation and brainstorming skills to generate and build ideas. As the subject matter expert on Instructional Design, you come to the table with concepts and ideas and apply industry-standard best practices for ID development. You seek out knowledge from topic experts, and work with them to ensure that their ideas are captured and conveyed in the training content.
- Strong written and verbal communication, listening, and analytical skills necessary to interact with internal and external clients.
- Advanced computer skills, including a minimum of 3 years of experience with instructional design tools (Adobe Acrobat Professional, Captivate, etc.). Power User in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of training theories and principles, including adult learning theory and established industry models of evaluation.
- Tech-savvy and familiarity with emerging technology and industry-related trends.
- Ability to design and develop multi-media and interactive learning content that align with the course and program objectives.
- Ability to take complex information and make it understandable to a wide range of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and assess customers' needs to achieve customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of SalesForce.com or other CRM software a plus.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
15% (7-8 weeks per year) Primarily International
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
Meet Some of Nordson's Employees
Taking on new challenges in multiple markets worldwide, Madeline takes pleasure in designing, testing, and improving Nordson's expansive products and systems as an engineer.
Back to top