The Electrical Engineer is responsible for supporting, researching, planning, designing, and testing embedded electrical components, equipment, and control systems. The Electrical Engineer is also responsible for the development and testing of advanced technologies and products. She/he supports the activities involved in the fabrication, testing, operation, application, installation, and support of electro-mechanical or electro-pneumatic technologies, products and systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports development of advanced technology by researching industrial market trends, conducting performance testing on current and prototype designs, performing competitive analysis testing, and having a thorough understanding of the product category.
- Collaborates with design team on determining the optimal enclosure layout design and system packaging
- Provides input and support to the fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and determines methods, procedures, and conditions for testing products.
- Develops circuit designs utilizing mixed signal (microcomputer/logic/memory IC/analog/interface) design techniques for industrial environments
- Designs user interfaces for standalone control systems utilizing LED and/or LCD displays with touch and custom control panel push buttons
- Supports defining system architecture to meet product requirements
- Participates in the research and analysis of data such as design proposals, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Communicates to senior management on status of projects under development
- Coordinates with regulatory agencies on compliance with CE, CSA, and UL for electrical device safety and electromagnetic compatibility (EN 61010, EN 61000)
- In conjunction with marketing and engineering management, supports the identification of promising areas of research or technology that may address current needs and potential markets
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks
- All other duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (BSEE preferred)
- 3-5 years of related experience
- Must have experience with schematic capture tools such as OrCAD and familiarity with and/or experience with PCB layout tools and design considerations
- Experience with industry-related testing equipment (scopes, meters, etc.) required
- Must have experience with various communication protocols (Serial, Ethernet, CAN, MODBUS)
- Experience in writing or maintaining MSP430 microcontroller firmware, and 3,4 axis table-top robots
- Experience with pneumatic control systems
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be proficient with Design software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software
- Understanding of machining and other manufacturing technologies
- Understanding of computer networks and conceptual models (OSI, TCP/IP)
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical interference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Mixed environment of office, laboratory, and manufacturing. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
Meet Some of Nordson's Employees
Business Unit Director
David grows Nordson’s business and manages customer demands. By maintaining organization and coordinating efficient internal teams, Nordson reduces costs and elevates the production activity.
Back to top