Director, Talent Development
The Director, Talent Development is responsible for the overall talent development strategy and deployment which includes developing, organizing, coordinating, and maintaining all aspects of Talent Development. This role oversees Talent Management processes such as Succession Planning, Employee and Leadership Learning and Development, Engagement, Performance Management and Diversity & Inclusion.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the Talent Development function in establishing and overseeing training/development programs, mentoring and coaching programs, leadership development programs and online learning platforms/resources.
- Responsible for the strategy and implementation of integrated talent management solutions which aid in selection, leadership assessment, individual development planning, performance review, succession planning, engagement, talent mobility programs (i.e. internships, inpat/expat assignments), and targeted leader (HiPO) and executive development programs.
- Oversees talent review and succession planning processes. Develops key talent reporting and tracking capabilities for senior management review.
- Ensures Workday Talent System fully supports the needs of the organization in terms of performance management, talent management and succession planning.
- Leads corporate-wide talent development and talent management projects and initiatives. Assesses existing programs effectiveness, conducts needs analysis, identifies process improvements and confers with leaders to determine and prioritize development needs.
- Manages partnerships and agreements with third party vendors.
- Researches, selects, leads and expands learning and development training programs to address skill gaps within organization and selects appropriate instructional procedures or methods such as individual training, group instruction, self-study, lectures, demonstrations, simulation exercises, role play, computer-based training, etc.
- Coordinates established training courses with technical and professional courses offered by educational partnership colleges/universities, community schools, vendors and suppliers.
- Screens, tests, counsels, and recommends associates for participation in internal or external educational and training programs.
- Identifies training needs/gaps at associate, leader and targeted leader (HiPo) levels and selects/creates and implements training solutions to address those needs, drive business strategy, meet organization’s future talent needs, and support development of a strong pool of Succession candidates.
- Partners with HR and leaders throughout the business to create career paths, performance management plans and succession development plans that identify talent mobility opportunities within the organization and supports individual, professional development.
- Partners with talent acquisition teams to embed talent management and diversity & inclusion aspects into recruiting processes and monitors results.
- Selects, monitors, tests and measures the use of appropriate tools for competency and skills assessment, 360 feedback and other development needs.
- Provides performance and development counseling and coaching for individuals, leaders and teams.
- Develops and oversees diversity/inclusion programs in partnership with HR and leader throughout the business.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- MBA or Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in organizational development/talent management required.
- Minimum 2 years of HR generalist experience preferred.
- PHR certification or other advanced certification preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Effective problem solving skills; uses reason when dealing with difficult or emotional issues; ability to think outside the box to develop alternative solutions to issues.
- Strong project management skills; ability to develop project plans, coordinate tasks and resources, communicate and deliver project updates. Ability to effectively manage multiple simultaneous projects.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to vary verbal and written communication style for targeted audience.
- Effective change management skills; ability to develop implementation plans and gain buy-in and commitment from appropriate parties.
- Ability to manage competing demands with the agility to address changes, delays and/or unexpected events.
- Displays original thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness and develops innovative approaches and ideas. Presents ideas and information in a manner that influences others.
- Effective organizational and presentation skills.
- Strong technical skills.
- Ability to understand business and function needs and translate them into an executable talent development strategy.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability build and maintain strong working relationships with leaders across the organization.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and effectively coach and develop others.
Working Environment and Physical Demands
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
Back to top