The Product Designer is responsible for developing detailed drawings/designs, BOMs and routings for core components including Barrels, Front End Components (FECs) and screws.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Product Design (50%)
- Develop detailed component drawings/designs and based on customer and Nordson Xaloy specifications
- Ability to calculate and interpret results from mechanical engineering stress/strain, and other strength of materials equations to validate operationally safe designs for plastic extrusion and injection molding components.
- Utilize Solid Works and ACAD to create and/or modify design sketches and manufacturing drawings and 3D models.
- Check drawings to customer and Nordson Xaloy specifications and standards to deliver accurate, concise drawings to manufacturing.
Manufacturing methods (50%)
- Create within the current ERP system, a complete manufacturing package that includes drawing, BOM and manufacturing routing as hand-off documentation for planning/scheduling department.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Associate’s degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 1 or more years’ experience in mechanical design, or 3 or more years of mechanical design experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge of machining practices including milling, grinding, turning, boring and polishing is a must.
- Strong engineering orientation, with ability to understand and interpret customer drawings and technical specifications.
Skills and Abilities
- Fluency with Solid Works and ACAD 3D modeling and drafting software.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills in order to interact with internal and external customers, suppliers and co-workers in a team based environment
- Must have ability to handle multiple tasks and work independently with minimal direction
- Must have strong communication skills: written, verbal, and listening
- Hands on machining experience a plus
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Office environment with ability to interact as required on the plant floor. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Estimated 5% As required to measure components in the field to determine form/fit critical dimensions.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
Back to top