The Designer will be responsible for supporting the Cold Materials line of business within our Industrial Coating Systems group. This individual must be able to support the Engineer and design and dimension metal and plastic fabrications, pneumatic assemblies, machined components
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Uses computer assisted design/drafting (CAD) equipment and software (Auto CAD, Solidworks) to develop mechanical and electro-mechanical solutions using standard industry principles for product design.
- Designs, creates and revises mechanical and electromechanical assemblies using design for manufacturing (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA) principles.
- Makes finished drawings, checks dimensions of parts, materials to be used, and component relationships. Sketches rough layout of design concept and computes angles, weights, surface areas, dimensions, radii, clearances, tolerances, leverages, and location of holes. Drafts detailed multiview drawings of assemblies and products. Draws finished designs from sketches utilizing solid models and layouts.
- Utilizes knowledge of various machines, engineering practices, mathematics, raw materials, processes and other physical sciences to complete drawings.
- Update Drafting / Engineering Standards, make source control drawings.
- Create and process engineering change notices.
- Troubleshoot and evaluate mechanical and electromechanical product manufacturing issues. Revise documentation as needed.
- Communicate with QA, Engineering, Vendors, Buyers and Manufacturing regarding new and revised drawings.
- Maintain proposal list at a manageable level by communicating with sales team.
- Work with manufacturing, assembly, product development, and staging personnel, both internal and external to improve design detail and accuracy of product drawings to minimize rework costs.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
- Associate’s degree in Mechanical Engineering discipline with 2-4 years experience OR a Bachelor’s degree in a Mechanical Engineering with applicable co-op or internship experience
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and 3-D modeling software, Solid Works experience preferred
- Experience in mechanical design, metal, and plastic fabrication precision machined parts and assemblies
- Geometric tolerance dimensioning experience per ASME is desireable.
PREFERRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Prior exposure to machine design, electrical cabinet layout and schematic drawings.
- Providing creative ideas and cost saving ideas as a way to improve product design.
- Individual must be well rounded, accountable, flexible, and known to complete tasks on time
- Ability to work with minimal direction to work through design issues both individually and as a team member
- Comfortable to working on multiple projects with very short leads times
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Office environment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Back to top