Design Engineer is responsible for supporting global core component manufacturing operations and commercial teams with complete engineering designs and drawings for screws, barrels and front end components. In addition, the design engineer will structure complete BOMs and define manufacturing routing methods to produce complete products as well as participate in R&D and product improvement efforts.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop detailed component drawings/designs based on OEM, customer and Nordson Xaloy specifications
- Calculate and interpret results from mechanical engineering stress/strain, and other strength of materials equations to validate operationally safe designs for plastic extrusion and injection molding components.
- Utilize Solid Works and ACAD to create and/or modify design sketches, manufacturing drawings and 3D models. FEA experience a plus.
- Check drawings to OEM, customer and Nordson Xaloy specifications and standards to deliver accurate, concise drawings to manufacturing.
- Create within the current ERP system, a complete manufacturing package that includes drawing, BOM and manufacturing routing as hand-off documentation for planning/scheduling department.
- Maintain engineering and manufacturing standards found in our technical handbooks.
- Perform root cause analysis on CMA returns to identify cause of failure.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
- Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering with 3 years minimum mechanical design experience. Associate’s degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 5 or more years’ experience in mechanical design.
- Knowledge of machining practices including milling, grinding, turning, boring and polishing is a must.
- Strong engineering orientation, with ability to understand and interpret customer drawings and technical specifications.
- Self starter will ablity to work with minimal supervision.
PREFERRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Fluency with Solid Works and ACAD 3D modeling and drafting software.
- Ability to apply sound engineering principles and practices in the design, development and verification of possible solutions.
- Strong understanding of new product development technologies, project management experience and various customer applications
- Good organization skills required to manage small and large projects.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills in order to interact with internal and external customers, suppliers and co-workers in a team based environment
- Must have ability to handle multiple tasks and work independently with minimal direction
- Must have strong communication skills: written, verbal, and listening
- Hands on machining experience a plus
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Office environment with ability to interact as required on the plant floor. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
Back to top