VP, Legal Affairs
- New York, NY
Online education is no longer a novel or niche idea. It is the fastest growing segment in higher education, accounting for 20% of all enrollees and 35% of graduate-level certificates and degrees. It's also getting increasingly competitive, as more and better programs are launched each semester. Universities need to go online quickly, economically and elegantly, creating programs that students can't wait to tell their friends about and that their professors want to teach.
Noodle Partners helps universities bring programs online with flexibility, transparency, alignment, efficiency, and joy. That's why more top universities chose us last year than all other online program managers combined. We are a passionate team of technologists, educators, and random experts. We know that online learning has the potential to transform higher education, so if you're interested in being a part of that journey, keep reading!
If you live and breathe contract negotiation and management, you are a great fit as our newest VP of Legal Affairs. In this role, you will provide counsel on closing new university partners for Noodle as well as the service providers that serve those relationships. You will take the lead in all contract negotiations with those partners and service providers. After you close new partners and service providers, you will also ensure that operational deliverables are completed in accordance with the agreements and in legal compliance. Because of all the impactful work you'll be doing in this role, you will be seen as a valuable resource for functional leaders looking for advice on how to queue up legal issues to outside counsel.
As our VP of Legal Affairs you will:
- Review all responses for requests for proposals and draft all agreements with university partners; draft all agreements with service & technology providers
- Provide oversight to ensure that all obligations with university partners and providers are being performed as contracted, such as GDPR, CCPA, FERPA, accessibility and university accreditation
- Identify improvements to our agreements as a result of relevant laws, regulations, and knowledge gained in negotiations and work cross-functionally to update and revise accordingly
- Manage workflows and output from our contract lifecycle management system to ensure proper tracking of the responsibilities described as well as reporting such progress to senior management
- Oversee budgets for outside counsel across departments to provide input on M&A, IP, litigation, legislation, employment law, trademarks, and intellectual property registrations and other specialized topics and manage relationships with those external resources
- A JD degree
- 6+ years of experience working in a nationally-recognized law firm or in-house legal department, and significant experience structuring, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Experience working in or contracting with educational institutions or, even better, serving in a senior legal role at an organization that services educational institutions.
- Admitted to practice in New York or the ability to register as In-House Counsel in New York.
- Self-starter mindset and can work autonomously: you find problems and fix them, painlessly, and thrive in a fast-paced, get it done, start-up environment. You'll need to negotiate multiple agreements simultaneously on tight deadlines...think multiple spinning plates.
- Excellent written and oral communicator, and can effectively interact equally with internal and external folks. If you like agreements with oodles of legal mumbo jumbo, you'll get frustrated here. We're looking for someone who drafts clear and concise agreements, protective of Noodle Partners, and our universities.
- A strong business acumen and sound judgment. Your excellent analytical skills support creative and pragmatic problem-solving; you get agreements to signature with everyone pleased with the outcome.
- Passion for education policy and where it is headed. You enjoy reading a detailed analysis of new laws and regulations that may affect Noodle Partners and are willing to liaise with lobbyists when asked.
- A Strong commitment to white-glove service - you are setting the tone of our relationships, and that tone is friendly and confident.
- Work from our beautiful NYC office! OR Work from the comfort of your home office!
- Competitive salary
- 401K + match, bonus potential, and equity opportunities
- Tools you need on us! Mac is our computer of choice
- Our insurance offers medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability coverage, plus supplementals for all employees and dependents
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 3 weeks paid vacation + 11 paid holidays + paid sick leave + summer fridays
- Monthly Gym Reimbursement
- Membership to premium medical services like One Medical and Eden Health
- Annual education stipend for lifelong learning
- Monthly cell phone reimbursement
- 12 weeks paid Parental Leave
Noodle Partners is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone. We value and celebrate our differences because those differences are what make our team shine. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes us stronger as a whole. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
And if you don't necessarily meet all the requirements that are listed, we still encourage you to apply for the role, because skills and competencies show up in lots of different ways and can be based on your life experience.
Back to top