Senior Director - Data Science (NSRL)
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it's about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Innovation is oxygen for NIKE, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it's about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
The Nike Sport Research Lab (NSRL) is a multidisciplinary team of researchers, innovators, and scientists who lead with science to make athletes measurably better. We deliver proven insights and novel, state of the art capabilities to drive the future of Nike products and services. In partnership with groups across our Nike, Inc Technology and NXT Innovation teams, you will help allow us to see and leverage the data that is the objective and unseen voice of the athlete to empower athletes everywhere.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We need an expert Senior Director to join our Data Science team in the NSRL. You are a natural born leader and a data evangelist who is self-motivated and unconventionally curious, especially about how data can be used to inform how we make athletes better - from performance to injury risk to experience. You love finding relationships between disparate data sets and clarity in a muddied data environment. While you rely on data to prove your point, you love to think creatively to solve problems.
WHO WILL YOU WORK WITH?
You will work with, coach, mentor and inspire a leadership team of data scientists, data engineers, and platform engineering professionals, monitoring performance, setting goals and developing individual potential. You will collaborate with business and Technology partners to promote the development of innovative products. You also will navigate the matrix through the building of strong, positive relationships throughout Nike.
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Computer Science, Statistics or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
-10+ years of experience specializing in advanced data analytics, BI and data products
- Solid grasp of data structures and algorithms
- Deep understanding of solution and technical design
- Strong problem-solving skills and analytical mindset
- Proven ability to influence, lead and communicate effectively, both verbally and written, with team members and business partners
As a successful candidate, you will also demonstrate the following:
- Experience working with, interpreting, and leveraging human (movement or health related) data sets and applying them to innovative products and services [subject matter expertise in dealing with human data]
- Understanding the complexities and challenges associated with capturing, moving, storing and mining complex data sets [understanding of how data is stored/platforms/etc.]
- Able to create strategies for capabilities investment with medium to long-term ROI
- Proven record of successfully leading, inspiring, and mentoring a multidisciplinary team of data scientists to deliver impactful results to the business
- Ability to navigate a highly matrixed organization and deliver complex solutions to multiple business units
- Ability to communicate complex, and sometime controversial topics to a diverse audience.
- Proven track record of applying data insights to influence innovative product.
- Display an entrepreneurial spirit
- Understand the connectivity between research, innovation, and business
- Deep understanding and strong ethics on data privacy and security of human data
- Able to work across matrix organizations to champion the use and application of human data to product and service innovations
- Be a visionary - connect vision to strategy to action.
- Provides input toward the development, management, and execution of short and near-term strategies critical to the organization's success.
- Anticipates future data research & methodological opportunities, trends, and vulnerabilities.
- Develops recommendations and executes high-impact opportunities to position the organization appropriately.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Back to top