Director of Explore Engineering - Advanced Innovation
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it's about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Innovation is oxygen for NIKE, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
As Director of the Explore Engineering team, you will lead a select group of Nike's most talented engineers, to explore the limits of what is possible when electromechanical solutions are applied towards improving athletic performance. This is an exploration innovation team, working at the furthest edge of the innovation spectrum, but striving to make big leaps in what is actually possible. You will be partnering directly with the Nike Sport Research Lab, the Nike Smart Systems Engineering team, and operate from within Nike's Space Kitchen.
This role requires an individual who has demonstrated skills in overcoming significant engineering challenges or notable examples of meaningful innovation in their career to date. The Just Do It nature of the job requires a leader who is a highly creative and competent engineer; someone who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves when the task requires, but also someone who can pull up to guide the team, and be able to effectively articulate the logic of their work to leadership and Nike senior executives.
This role reports directly to the VP of Explore Innovation, and would be a key partner in shaping the engineering innovation portfolio. This individual is responsible for executing the strategy with their direct team, cross functional teams across NXT (Nike's broader innovation organization), and various external partners. If you are a self-starter, if you are comfortable in and able to create opportunity from highly ambiguous environments, and if you are willing to take high but informed risk, this job is for you.
- Masters or Bachelors degree in Engineering or closely related technical field.
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in electrical/mechanical design engineering.
- Works with Engineers, Designers, Innovators, and Sport Scientists, to realize design of mechanical, electro-mechanical and connected systems.
- Uses concept sketches, engineering design/ideas, and other communication methods to assure clear understanding of technological capabilities and limitations.
- Creates specifications and quotation documentation in order to lead external professional services firms (domestic and international) and component vendors to create prototypes and generate proof-of-concepts, with an eye towards commercialization at scale.
- Function as an engineering knowledge base and resource across the company, clearly communicating and explaining complex mechanical and electro-mechanical system capability/limitations in both technical and non-technical manners in order to facilitate innovation work. Provide rationale and recommendations for technical and market-driven product decisions.
- Leads, develops and inspires internal and external, cross discipline, technical teams.
- Must be able to efficiently manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must possess a high-level understanding of engineering technical disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, and firmware engineering.
- Excellent creativity, communication, presentation, troubleshooting, time-management, and analytical skills are required.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Back to top