Design Patent Paralegal
From the beginning, we just wanted to sell better shoes to runners. We never set out to be anything as ambitious as a 'design' company." But driven by an entrepreneur who saw a better way, fueled by a coach's obsessive refusal to leave well enough alone and challenged by a runner who pushed every limit he ever encountered, we discovered something: That sometimes the only way to find what you're looking for, is to make it yourself.
As a key member of the Nike Trademark & Design Patent Team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Research and keep aware of new product offerings from all areas of the NIKE business, including all brands under the NIKE umbrella.
- According to established design patent program strategy and guidelines, assist in choosing new creations to pursue for design patent protection; research disclosure dates and histories as well as inventorship for projects.
- Collect sample products and drawings; facilitate design conferences with NIKE inventors and outside legal counsel.
- Ensure timely preparation of design patent applications by outside counsel; monitor design patent applications from receipt through execution and on to filing both domestically and internationally.
- Oversee the design patent data management system; coordinate with outside legal counsel to ensure timely and accurate data collection. Work with other team members to provide reporting of design patent prosecution and enforcement efforts.
- Serve as a resource for law firms, other NIKE Legal team members and outside vendors to facilitate timely and accurate electronic billing and maintenance fee reporting. Facilitate file management for the design patent program within NIKE Legal's document management system.
- Serve as a resource and conduit for NIKE business team members in need of NIKE Legal services, regardless of subject matter. Continuously and appropriately coordinate activities of protecting NIKE intellectual property with other IP team members from Utility Patents, IP Litigation, IP Transactions, and Brand Protection teams.
- Bachelor's degree and/or paralegal certificate required with at least 2-3 years of patent application and prosecution experience.
- Experience in facilitating patenting process including, but not limited to, knowledge of patent and invention law, patent application process, and infringement proceedings. Strong preference for specific design patent prosecution experience, both in the US and internationally.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience with patent data management systems preferred; experience with Anaqua strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills required.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a team player able to establish and build partnerships within all levels of NIKE's organization.
- Must have the ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, and deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-sufficiency and proven capability of high quality, high volume delivery with minimal supervision.
- Highly organized, proactive, and can prioritize among the many competing work demands.
Back to top