Data Engineering Manager
- Beaverton, OR
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it's about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE is a technology company. From our flagship website and five-star mobile apps to developing products, managing big data and providing leading edge engineering and systems support, our teams at NIKE Global Technology exist to revolutionize the future at the confluence of tech and sport. We invest and develop advances in technology and employ the most creative people in the world, and then give them the support to constantly innovate, iterate and serve consumers more directly and personally. Our teams are innovative, diverse, multidisciplinary and collaborative, taking technology into the future and bringing the world with it.
In North America we're looking for a data engineering leader who can partner with analytics, product managers, and other engineering teams to build and support analytics tools that drive the consumer experience at Nike. We're looking for someone that can lead a team of engineers by setting clear goals and leading by example. Technical and data foundation are core to the direction of Nike as we strive to grow in our ability to make better and faster decisions that support our efforts to accelerate a positive consumer experience.
The person in this role will understand the importance of recruiting and retaining top talent, and be able to evaluate engineering talent on the team and lead constructive. They won't code daily, but are expected to be able to demonstrate coding standard methodologies to engineers and "pinch hit" if needed, with Python and SQL being the most valuable skills. He/she will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity and will enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment!
What will you work on:
If this is you, you will be leading the delivery of scalable data and analytics solutions, implementing and integrating new technologies, and leading and evolving data and analytics products. You will lead a team of engineers through daily interactions, career development, and providing them relevant context and inspiration. You will partner daily with product managers and analytics leaders to help prioritize work, lead issue resolution, and guide technology decisions that drive Nike standard methodologies. You will frequently meet with other engineering teams across Nike, to collaborate on specific technologies and build out various data sets together. Your work will regularly involve leading discussions to scale out data architecture to process large data sets, and solve various data challenges. You will also work with enterprise platform and architecture, strategizing together to drive roadmaps and use standards and platforms at Nike.
Who will you work with:
This role is part of Nike's Enterprise Data & Analytics Organization and you will work with extraordinarily hardworking people in the field of Data Engineering with a goal of better business insights and driving data driven decisions across a geography of $16 billion annual revenue. You'll be working closely with Internal partners, product owners, engineering leaders, data analysts, big data leads and engineers. They will span across Global Technology as well as North America groups including Demand and Supply Management, Supply Chain, Commercial Analytics, and Consumer Insights. You will be in contact with a wide range of great people. One of Nike's maxims is "Win as a Team". In all interactions, you will find success in teamwork, a positive attitude, and hard work.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, a related quantitative field, or equivalent practical experience.
• 7 years of experience in software or data engineering, machine learning, IT or a related field + experience working in an Analytics environment.
• 3 years in a management or leadership role
• Demonstrated competence in Python and/or SQL
• Experience building distributed / cloud scalable, real time and high-performance data lake solutions (AWS preferred)
• Proven expertise in enterprise data warehouse technologies such as Redshift or Snowflake, as well as scheduling tools such as Airflow.
• Good foundation in data structures, algorithms and architecture patterns.
• Solid skills in team leadership and building positive relationships across Product and Engineering.
• Experienced in delivering complex, multi-functional IT projects and/or programs
• Strong networking skills and ability to work across multiple organizations to accomplish diverse goals
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
• Practical approach to solving complex problems with ambiguous requirements
• Proven expertise in machine learning algorithms, time series, forecasting, understanding natural language or unstructured data.
• Demonstrable experience leading CICD pipeline processes and related technologies such as Jenkins, CircleCI, Git, Docker. Good overall understanding of using a version control system in a diverse engineering team.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Back to top