Communications Director, Global Nike Direct
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it's about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
The NIKE, Inc. Communications team develops, establishes and strengthens authentic connections with diverse audiences through the lens of innovation and sport. The team creates premium and innovative brand stories, builds and enhances corporate reputation and brand equity, and engages audiences such as consumers, media, athletes, investors, non-governmental organizations and Nike's own employees. The team focuses on information, inspiration and connection to accelerate the growth of NIKE, Inc. Communications employees ignite conversations, envision the possibilities, and influence and deliver new levels of creative and strategic thinking to advance the brand around the world.
The Nike Direct organization links our physical and digital retail experiences to deepen consumer relationships and create new ways to serve them. We enable a digital-first approach through physical retail; on Nike.com; across our suite of apps (Nike App, SNKRS, NRC, and NTC); through our digital platforms and partnerships; with member services and more.
The Global Nike Direct Communications team is responsible for leading external communications strategies for Nike Direct, including the development and activation of communications plans for our current fleet and new store openings, new services and in-store experiences, Nike's digital platforms and new partnerships and technologies. The function also leads internal communications with our Nike Direct employees globally, which include tens of thousands of retail store employees who serve as some of our best ambassadors for the Nike brand.
The Nike Direct Communications Director will focus primarily on development of external communications strategies and plans for new retail concepts, in-store services and experiences, Nike's e-commerce platform and new partnerships and business models. The role will work in close partnership with our four global geographical communications teams on the development of an external media and thought leadership strategy to drive our storytelling as a digitally-led, membership-driven, innovative brand. The Communications Director will take a creative campaign approach to storytelling for Nike Direct, led through key activations; key message development; media and message training for spokespeople; executive briefs; integration of internal and external communications strategies and opportunities; and more.
This role is part of the Nike Direct Communications function and will work directly with communications team that lead strategies and plans for our app portfolio and membership program. This position will also work in close partnership with global and functional teams at Nike responsible for media relations, global narrative and publishing, purpose communications, investor relations, employee communications, geography communications and Nike Direct strategy.
Examples of work include:
- Work with Nike Direct Leadership, Nike Direct Comms leadership and the global Narrative and Publishing COE to develop quarterly, seasonal and annual strategy and roadmap.
- Develop external communications campaigns and activations that drive energy and excitement for our new retail concepts, services, consumer experiences and partnerships.
- Responsible for developing end-to-end communications campaign plans - including messaging, script and presentation development, event logistics, executive briefs, media training, and more.
- Work with message team on analysis and measurement of message pull through and impact, and make recommendations and adjustments on narrative, channels and audiences as appropriate.
- Collaborate with members of Nike's Geography Nike Direct communications teams on media campaigns and activations to guide Nike Direct strategy and maintain continuity of messages around the world.
- Development of issues and crisis management communications materials when necessary.
- Partner with Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, HR, and other key functions to strengthen the Nike Direct narrative through multiple channels, i.e., media; speaking engagements; key partnerships; etc.
- Role also includes partnership with employee communications team on key messages and content that supports story development through employee-focused channels, including those to our retail workforce
- Assist with script development and messaging for Town Hall meetings and email communications and other employee communications for Nike Direct senior leadership (VP and above)
- Write and develop media materials including press releases, message documents, Q&A; tech copy, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related discipline
- 8+ years of professional Communications experience
- 2 additional years of experience required in lieu of a degree
- Direct writing experience in developing effective and engaging scripts and messaging for leaders and spokespeople
- Strong writing skills and editorial planning combined with speed, flexibility and attention to detail
- Message development that leverages multiple platforms including digital, video, mobile and social media. Experience in podcasts is a plus
- Ability to build and cultivate key relationships internally with multiple business partners, and work well in a cross-functional, cross-geographical and cross-category matrix organizational structure
- A passion for sport, digital innovation, the future of retail and the consumer
- Experience in messaging / communications for a physical/digital retail organization
- Experience in messaging / communications for tech sector
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Back to top