Software Engineering, Research and Development Intern
- Flexible / Remote
Niantic's Research and Development team is seeking PhD-students, who are passionate about inventing new algorithms, to join us for a 3-month research internship to work on computer vision and learning, alongside our growing team of researchers in central London. We work on projects that fit under the broad umbrella of artificial intelligence for augmented reality, including deep or shallow machine learning models, tracking, 3D reconstruction, localization, and graphics for mixed reality. We're excited for you to explore the best problems in vision with us.
Priority application date: 3rd December
- Dig deep into a fun computer vision and machine learning topic, becoming a specialist, and breaking new ground.
- You will discover ways to automatically understand imagery and/or telemetry from the real world, to track, reconstruct, localize, synthesize, or recognize more accurately or more efficiently.
- You will work alongside our other researchers, accepting help and aiding others, to make discoveries that will eventually help the Niantic Real World Platform, as it gets deployed for Niantic and outside developers alike.
- You are enrolled in a PhD program in computer science or a related field, with a focus on computer vision, robotics, AR, or machine learning.
- Experience building your own software systems in Python or C++, wrangling 2D and/or 3D data, training models, and running experiments.
- You are proficient at finding, reading, and efficiently critiquing and experimentally assessing published research papers.
- Experience writing technical papers in English for a scientific audience.
- You have had 1+ papers accepted to ICCV / NeurIPS / IROS / ISMAR / SIGGRAPH type conferences.
- Experience building fast or efficient computer vision systems.
- You're able to design your own architectures within a deep learning framework (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow, or similar).
- You have experience collecting or organizing data to validate your research.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Back to top