Software Engineer, Tools
- Sunnyvale, CA
Niantic’s Engineering Team is seeking a Software Engineer to build the tools we need internally to run the world’s most popular AR Game. With millions of different setting permutations, a constant stream of new features, and one of the most prolific fanbases in mobile gaming, this is an opportunity to support the Engineers, Game Designers, and Product Managers that build and run Pokémon Go. The game continues to evolve, and our tools need to evolve with it. Every day provides a new challenge, whether it’s setting up for the next live event, balancing game rules, or figuring out what comes next. Our tools engineers will help develop, maintain, and modernize the solutions our internal teams utilize to run the game with the precision, accuracy, and efficiency our player-base demands.
- You will craft and implement user-friendly, web-based interfaces for game designers and product managers.
- You will collaborate with other engineers, product managers, game designers, operations, marketing, and other departments to gather requirements, build tools to their specifications, and identify existing problems.
- You will look for opportunities to reduce mistakes and improve efficiency of our live ops.
- You will participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live games.
- You have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- You have experience on applications involving orchestration of game rules, settings, or content management systems.
- You have experience designing and building internal tools/systems from scratch.
- You are detail-oriented and can always identify critical areas that need focus.
- You have experience with deployment on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- You have experience working on mobile games, games-as-a-service, or massively multiplayer online games.
- You have experience with a/b testing or experimentation frameworks.
- You are familiar with version control systems like git.
- You thrive in a rigorous engineering environment, and have an eye for detail.
- You’re eager to work in an agile, fast-growth environment.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Back to top