Niantic is seeking Software Engineers to help build next-generation augmented reality and location-based games using Niantic’s Real World Platform.
The ideal candidate has a love for games and the ability to collaborate with Unity developers, technical artists, and game designers in order to build fun games at scale. We seek engineers with strong judgment, great execution, and a willingness to take on new responsibilities.
You will work on all aspects of the game backend, from designing RPC protocols to writing game logic to deploying and monitoring the servers. Building systems with security and scalability in mind is a must.
Our focus is shipping fun, world-class games. We value engineers who consistently deliver quality results. You will join an outstanding team of like-minded people to create cutting-edge mobile and AR experiences.
- Create robust, low-latency, scalable systems that support Niantic’s products.
- Design the RPC protocols and implement server-side features in Java.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and other departments to ensure code meets internal standards.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- You have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience building reliable scalable platforms, 5+ years for senior level candidates.
- Proficiency in one of the following languages: Java, Go or C++
- Experience building networked and distributed systems.
- Experience building concurrent and multi-threaded services.
- Delivered solutions to production environments, and provided tools to monitor, support and mitigate any issues.
- You have experience with deployment on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, infrastructure as code (such as Terraform)
- Experience mentoring junior engineers or leading projects.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Harry Potter:Wizards Unite. Our developer platform, Lightship, launches soon.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID