Niantic is seeking Senior Software Engineers to help build our unreleased, next-generation augmented reality and location-based games using Niantic’s Real World Platform.
Niantic is seeking Senior Software Engineers - Server to build the server infrastructure that supports our live and in-development AAA AR mobile games. You will have the ability to collaborate with developers in order to build fun games at scale. We seek engineers with strong decision-making skills, great execution, and a willingness to take on new responsibilities.
You will work on all aspects of the game backend, from designing RPC protocols to writing game logic to deploying and monitoring the servers. Building systems with security and scalability in mind is a must.
Our focus is shipping fun, world-class games. We value engineers who consistently deliver quality results. You will join an outstanding team of like-minded people to create innovative mobile and AR experiences.
- Work with a small team of developers to complete a creative vision and deliver an outstanding gameplay experience.
- Build key components within game design that developers can incorporate to create rich experiences in their games.
- Create robust, low-latency, scalable systems that support Niantic’s products.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- BS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of backend and/or relevant experience.
- Server side programming experience (Java/C#/Ruby/Python/Go)
- Previous experience in the gaming industry - mobile and/or games-as-a-service.
- Fluent in Java - this is what we use here at Niantic.
- You have experience with deployment on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud (what Niantic uses), AWS, or Azure.
- Working experience with AR gameplay.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID