Senior Scientist, Computer Vision/Machine Learning
- San Francisco, CA
Do you want to be part of a growing Augmented Reality organization that is helping to shape the game experiences of millions of players? Niantic, the developer of Pokémon GO and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite is looking for a Senior Scientist with the creativity, leadership, and experience to develop meaningful Computer Vision and Machine Learning science and game interventions for all our popular titles. Work closely with other scientists, engineers, and product managers to design and deploy capabilities that elevate gameplay in Niantic’s AR driven games where the real world becomes our game board.
- Conceive, design, lead the development, and bring into production new Computer Vision and Machine Learning capabilities for our current and future global games.
- Apply a high degree of scientific rigor and real world pragmatism in all your work, particularly to quantify the impact of features on relevant engagement metrics.
- Mentor other scientists to grow their skills, create a collaborative environment, and employ tools and methodologies to test, revise, and improve models.
- Lead by example: promote deep scientific expertise, constant learning, attention to detail, and an intimate relationship with the data while always being friendly, humble, and open to challenging any assumptions.
- Collaborate with data engineers, product managers, and marketing to coordinate timely deployments from conception to release.
- A successful candidate will have a PhD in Statistics, Machine Learning, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or a related field, or equivalent experience. A minimum of 4 years of real-world experience developing and deploying machine learning models, preferably in a gaming context.
- Strong command of statistics and the science underpinning machine learning techniques and able to defend choices with math as well as real-world tradeoffs.
- Expert in computer vision and machine learning domains such as SLAM, 3D reconstruction, object recognition and classification.
- Flexible with tools and programming languages (C++, Python, Java, Scala, Go) and able to learn new technologies quickly.
- Demonstrated experience with large scale data processing (e.g. BigQuery, Spark, Hive, DataFlow/Beam).
- Knowledge of real-time optimization for CV/ML algorithms running across mobile and cloud platforms.
- Experience applying CV/ML models in mobile games, particularly at scale.
- Experience working with business stakeholders - understanding and proving impact, resourcing, and schedules.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Back to top