Engineering Director, Head of AR Mapping
- San Francisco, CA
We are on an ambitious mission to turn the world into an Augmented Reality canvas which games and other applications can paint on top of. At the heart of this mission is a live updating 3D digital twin of the world powered by our users and developers. We are looking for an inspirational leader to oversee the engineering direction of our AR mapping effort as we look to build this out for our millions of users across the Niantic World Platform. As our Head of AR Mapping, you will be responsible for growing and nurturing a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment that allows our engineering teams to do their best work. You will take on a meaningful leadership role to recruit and lead multiple high-performing teams of engineers and technical program managers to elevate AR Mapping to the next level of development.
- Manage and deliver on the technical vision, strategy, and roadmap for the AR Mapping domain.
- Partner closely with leaders across the AR organization and the broader set of Niantic teams to drive our AR Mapping capabilities and see it integrated across our portfolio of products.
- Actively manage the performance of people managers who lead teams of engineers and technical program managers through coaching, conducting regular 1:1s, and setting clear and actionable goals that help your leaders advance their personal career goals and team goals in a way that aligns with business needs.
- Develop and track goals and key performance indicators for quality and team performance. You will drive their improvement over time, and lead the teams’ execution to meet those goals, while providing updates to stakeholders and the executive team on a regular basis.
- Be hands-on in technical decisions and ensure all project teams are properly resourced with the relevant talent and skill sets. This may include leading usage of standard methodologies in software development, including code reviews, automated testing, build deployment, and scheduling.
- You hold a BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, or a related technical field.
- You have a minimum of three years leading managers of engineering team and six years of engineering leadership experience managing software teams, which includes managing individual contributors across all levels, engineering managers, and tech leads.
- You have worked as a software engineer for at least eight years.
- You have experience building and managing engineering teams at both public tech companies and startups, with a dedicated focus on diversity and sponsoring under-represented people.
- You have built systems that are highly scalable, secure, and performant using industry best practices.
- You have led teams focussed on building mapping or geo spatial systems that work at world scale.
- You have experience developing core technologies in computer vision and machine learning.
- You have developed server stacks operating in public cloud IaaS or PaaS, such as AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Back to top