Computer Vision Researcher
Niantic’s R&D Team in London is seeking an ambitious Computer Vision Researcher to push the frontiers of Augmented Reality. You will work as part of a fun team, to invent and help develop novel algorithms and systems that sit at the cross-section of computer vision, machine learning, graphics, and robotics. We’re passionate about discovery, so we’re looking for scientists who want to learn, publish, teach, and deploy every new invention that could help make better “adventures on foot, with others.” Niantic Engineering leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies, while creating engaging apps for a user base of millions.
Opening date for applications: 01 April 2020
Closing date for applications: 01 May 2020
- Perform scientifically rigorous research into novel algorithms, leading to fun and useful inventions.
- Publish and patent discoveries, and teach others, internally/externally, what you have learned.
- Work jointly with local and international team members, getting and giving help. Expect to mentor interns, and to learn from expert engineers.
- Help to pick important problems and technologies, and stay current with the international community, by reading papers, code, and blogs, and by attending conferences.
- Solve emerging problems that relate to location-based AR, training data, 3D geometry, model efficiency, and interactive systems.
- Build proof of concept prototypes, initially for internal use, where some will need to scale to millions of users.
- Extend Niantic’s AR platform to deliver the next generation of intelligent Augmented Reality.
- You either have a PhD or have completed the requirements for one, in one of the relevant fields: Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Computer Graphics, or Robotics.
- You have multiple papers accepted to any of: CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, BMVC, NeurIPS, ICLR, ICML, SIGGRAPH, Europgraphics, ICRA, IROS, or ISMAR.
- You have designed novel computational models / CNN architectures to tackle vision-related problems.
- You have experience collecting or organizing data to validate your research.
- You have implemented efficient code to validate your research.
- You have work or internship experience in an industrial research lab.
- You are comfortable with 3D geometry and linear algebra.
- You have made efficient ML or 3D graphics applications for mobile devices.
- You have strong experience with Unity3D, Blender, or similar.
- You have designed + built project(s) that are used by others.
- You have worked with a diverse team, including R&D, QA, and designers.
- Base salary range: £90,000-£130,000 per annum.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Back to top