Communications Manager, Japan
- Tokyo, Japan
At Niantic, we work hard to encourage people by using our AR technology to explore the real world on foot with other people. We believe that adding a layer of the AR world on top of the real world makes it more fun and exciting, and doing it with others makes it an even better experience. We also want to make it possible for people to experience it no matter where they are in the world, including Japan. Japan is one of our key markets, and we want to grow more.
Niantic is looking for an experienced Communications Manager to lead its communication efforts for Japan. This role is to lead all the basic communications/PR works for Japan, which include corporate, technology and game titles, to build the Niantic brand and grow our player communities in Japan. As a member of the Global Communications team, this position will work not only with Global Communications team but also with other teams, such as Product team and Marketing team in Japan and other offices, to find communication opportunities, write press alerts, support localizing blog posts, build and maintain a wide range of media relationships in Japan, held press roundtables and interviews when it is effective, study the Japanese player sentiment and market situation.
A game player is helpful but not required. The person needs to be open to learn the tech/game industry culture proactively. Basic level of Business English is crucial to work with colleagues.
This is a full-time position located at our Tokyo office. This role is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
- Develop, localize, and execute communication activities to build Niantic brand and grow its players/uses in Japan for a wide range of topics, which include corporate, technology, and game titles.
- Build, grow, and maintain the two-way relationship with Japanese press by draft messaging and press responses, handle in-bound press inquiries on a range of issues for Japan.
- Write or localize blog posts, media alert, press releases in Japanese by working with Global Communications team, cross-functional teams, and business partners when appropriate.
- Held press briefings, press conferences when it effective.
- Learn about Niantic and its titles and have good knowledge by joining cross-functional team meetings.
- Conveying local press/player voices about Niantic and its titles in Japan and shares it with the relevant internal teams.
- 5 yrs+ in B2C Comms/PR.
- Able to write press releases in Japanese.
- Basic press activity experience, such as media roundtables, press conference.
- Basic-level of Business English to write, listen, and communicate internally.
- Playing or open to playing games.
- Strong or interested in the current trends and/or key social media services.
- Experience in tech or games’ a high-speed working environment is a plus.
- Highly independent/self-starter yet a team-player.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Back to top